Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wire cutter SMLE attachment

Muerrisch

Gazing at the display in National War Memorial, Canberra, I readily identified a wire cutter stuck on a SMLE.

And then I thought "how did it work?". In detail, if anyone knows, please.

On a side note, I've been told that these items were obsolete before they ever reached the frontline, as they had been tested successfully against British wire, but no-one realised that German wire was thicker, too thick for the jaws to cut through!

On a side note, I've been told that these items were obsolete before they ever reached the frontline, as they had been tested successfully against British wire, but no-one realised that German wire was thicker, too thick for the jaws to cut through!

Next week if i have some time i will test it out

but it would be nice if i have some original British and German wire :rolleyes:

Did the wire have to be taut? I can imagine that, if the wire was slack, you`d have nothing to push against? Or pull in the other type.

Did the Germans (or British) hang things on the wire to give warning of tampering? Phil B

Did the wire have to be taut? I can imagine that, if the wire was slack, you`d have nothing to push against? Or pull in the other type.

Did the Germans (or British) hang things on the wire to give warning of tampering? Phil B

Yeah that is tru

but i will try it all

Thats wierd :huh:

never saw this that they use it the other way around

and i never saw on picture's where they have them on the lee enfield this way

Did the Germans (or British) hang things on the wire to give warning of tampering?

Phil

They certainly did. In the midst of a full-blown attack, these measures would have been useless. But for a small raid, in the absence of a covering barrage, attempting to cut wire would likely have triggered the warning systems.

Robert

"The first one entitled Canadian Training School Bexhill 1 show infantry stringing

and then cutting wire with rifle attached cutters, the man nearest the camera seems to be using his upside down"

"and i never saw on picture's where they have them on the lee enfield this way"

They are the standard No1 MK I Wire cutters fitted properly.

Joe Sweeney