Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Plaques to Non Combatant Corps

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

OK all this talk about plaques has reminded me of a question that I have been meaning to post for a while but it has always slipped my mind!!!

Were the next of kin of members of the Non Combatant Corps killed or died during the war eligible for a Memorial Plaque and Scroll?

I know that the NCC men who served in France were not issued with campaign medals so I wondered if this was extended to plaques.

Perhaps someone knows the regulations??

Ian

I have just lent out my notes (including rules and regs), so I can't answer this with any authority.

However I don't recall anything about the NCC being mentioned in the regulations.....

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Thanks for that Pete, I can appreciate the advancing years play havoc with the memory, something I am not looking forward to in the next 10 years!

Any other plaque experts out there.....................help please!!!

MEMORIAL PLAQUE & SCROLL Regulations Regarding Issue

II. PRINCIPALS GOVERNING THE ISSUE OF THE MEMORIAL PLAQUE AND SCROLL.

2. The plaque and scroll are to be given in respect of all those who die on active service (Except those who suffer death by Court-Martial) between 4th August 1914 and the official date of the end of the war, as promulgated by Order in Council, and those who die subsequently when there death is attributable to the war.

The subsequenbt death from causes had a 7 year deadline.

In answer to your post it is likely Non Combatant Corps on active service received the plaque.

RT

Below is the photo which I sent you a few days back of a plaque to a Non-Combatant Corps man Charles Walter Alderton

The CWGC details are...

Name: ALDERTON

Initials: C W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Non Combatant Corps

Date of Death: 29/10/1918

Service No: 4076

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: BUCKHURST HILL (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) CHURCHYARD

The man concerned was a member of the Plymouth Bretheren.

I post this photo with the permission of the owner who wishes to remain anonymous.

post-23-1101759826.jpg

This may be of some related interest.

There was a plaque recently listed on ebay, but subsequently withdrawn (item no 2282851668) to a Charles Walter Alderton, which a combination of C.W.G.C and Soldier's died would attribute to a N.C.C recipient only. It may be that the plaque belonged to another soldier simply listed as Charles Alderton in the records, I'm not sure, but it did look interesting.

Spud.

RT

Below is the photo which I sent you a few days back of a plaque to a Non-Combatant Corps man Charles Walter Alderton

I was asked to keep it in confidence, which is why I didn't say anything about Pte Alderton. ;)

I readily admit, though, that it was the first NCC plaque I have seen.

Excellent.

MEMORIAL PLAQUE & SCROLL Regulations Regarding Issue

II. PRINCIPALS GOVERNING THE ISSUE OF THE MEMORIAL PLAQUE AND SCROLL.

2. The plaque and scroll are to be given in respect of all those who die on active service (Except those who suffer death by Court-Martial) between 4th August 1914 and the official date of the end of the war, as promulgated by Order in Council, and those who die subsequently when there death is attributable to the war.

The subsequenbt death from causes had a 7 year deadline.

In answer to your post it is likely Non Combatant Corps on active service received the plaque.

Nice one, Paul. Thanks.

I take it you don't have one of these (NCC) in your collection...??