Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Welsh at Mametz Wood 1916'

Ferguson73uk

My new book 'The Welsh at Mametz Wood 1916' has now been released. The result of three years' research, it takes a fresh look at the part played in this famous battle by the soldiers of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, the South Wales Borderers and the Welsh Regiment. I have also researched the roles played by the supporting arms, including the Field Ambulance Brigades, and have, for the first time, translated German accounts of the battle. It tells the narrative of that second week in July from the survivors' points of view (on both sides).

It is available from all retailers, plus the publishers y Lolfa and gWales.

Hopefully, you will find it of interest!

Jonathan

post-1993-0-36711100-1461997541_thumb.jp

Just ordered my copy!

Well done!

Bernard

Enjoyed your Oscendale novels and will be adding this one to the reading pile

David

Ordered a copy, eagerly anticipated, using the GWF link naturally.

Just ordered a copy to add to my library, adds to my sub collection on texts devoted to actions centred on the woodlands of the Somme. Look forward to reading it.

Doug

Firstly, I wish to declare an interest. I provided a small number of images to the author of this work.

That said I am now looking at the book itself. It's paperback, 384 pages, well illustrated and has a few good maps, at least one of which seems to have been specially drawn for the book.

At 384 pages it exceeds the word count of the works by Hughes and Renshaw on Mametz Wood. Naturally, it covers the attack of 7 July 1916 and includes war diary extracts as well as letters from the front etc. The subsequent attack of 10 July+ covers 72 pages while the actions of the 11-12 July take up another 37 pages. The aftermath of the battle is covered and there are numerous eye-witness accounts as well as some interesting translations from the German side. Contemporary press reports are included as are some accounts of particular medal winners.

The focus is obviously on the Welsh Division and the 'doings' of individual units are clearly demarcated within the work.

I've only browsed this at present but it certainly looks interesting, well researched and written. No index but plenty of footnotes. I'm popping it into the suitcase when we toddle off to Sicily next week...

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Jonathan, cant wait to get my copy.

Any chance of the 38th Welsh at Thrid Ypres next.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I can see but it is a large, unindexed volume.

Bernard

Eastindia,

Do you mean Lt Col Sidney John Wilkinson, 10th South Wales Borderers, there is brief mention of him being killed on page 56.

This is a very good book, and I would like to thank and congratulate Jonathan for writing it.

It's not a conventional narrative, as although there are chapters on the action on each day of the battle, these are split into sections dealing with what all the components of the Division did on that day. I found that this took a little getting used  to, but once I had, it worked well. It allowed each part of the Division to tell it's own story, and if you want to know what a particular Battalion did on a specific day, this will probably give it to you.

A major part of the book is the personal stories of those who were there. Although I had read some of them before, most of them were new, and they were very interesting. It's a fitting tribute to the men of the 38th (Welsh) Division, and a good reminder of what happened there in July 1916.

I'm now looking forward to my trip with the WFA South Wales Branch next month, and I'll probably have to read this again before I go. I believe Jonathan is going to talk to us on the tour - put me down for that session, please!

My copy arrived yesterday and I only managed a few pages last night.  Seems very good from the start and I am sure it will be a useful addition on the Welsh in the great War.

On 21 May 2016 at 07:29, gwentpal said:

Well done Jonathan, cant wait to get my copy.

Any chance of the 38th Welsh at Thrid Ypres next.

Many thanks for your kind comments!

Gwent pal, my manuscript of the companion volume (sequel?) 'The Welsh at Third Ypres' is with the publishers and I expect a decision in July. Wish me luck please!

Jonathan

Brilliant news Jonathan. I'm really looking forward to the new book on Ypres, its great to see someone covering the 38th Welsh Division and their successfull attack of July 1917.

Went over to Ypres a couple of months ago and walked the ground from Yorkshire Trench up to Pilckem, over Iron Cross Ridge and down to the Steenbeek and Langemarck.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...