Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi, I'm new to this forum and appreciate the opportunity to join!

I'm having trouble puzzling out where Artillery positions would be on the battlefield during WWI. For example, Would heavy artillery batteries be close to Division Headquarters; would light artillery be near Regimental Headquarters in the Regiment's third line of defense; and would trench mortars be used by the Regiment's Battalions in the first and second lines of defense?

I may be oversimplifying this. I could sure use some help. I am conducting researching on my cousin, who was assigned to the American 354th Infantry Regiment, 89th Division.

Many thanks beforehand!

Joe

The first point to remember is that field artillery is in the indirect fire business. This means the guns cannot see their targets. It also means that the guns can potentially engage any target in range. The classic rule of thumb was that guns deployed roughly 1/3 of their maximum range behind the forward line of own troops. However terrain is a key factor and gun positions need to avoid places that are overlooked by the enemy. Reasonable proximity to roads/tracks is also a consideration because of the need for ammunition resupply.

In WW1 UK, etc, artillery was not organised in 'regiments', batteries were grouped in 'Brigades', in RFA 4 btys per bde.

Broadly targets were in two categories, 'opportunity' targets when an observation officer (or RFC pilot) saw something worth shooting at, and planned targets., which could be planned by an observing officer or battery commander through to targets planned as part of a corps or army level fire plan. Planned target could be on-call or scheduled as part of the fireplan for an offensive operation.

There may well have been differences in artillery practice between the British and American armies. Joe is clearly referring to the latter.

Ron

Joe

This map shows the Artillery positions around Albert July 1916. As you can see the gun line is plus and minus of Albert. The front line can be seen running north & south of La Boisselle.

gallery_46676_621_22252.jpg

Thank you all so much for clarifying this for me! While the British and American may have had slightly different practices, I understand that the Americans adopted much of what the British and French used through years of trial and error. I do have a basic understanding of artillery usage during the war, and the help you have provided gives me the understanding I need to move forward.

Again, many thanks!! What a great forum!

Joe