Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra War Cemetery, current condition

mancpal

Does anybody know the current condition of Basra War Cemetery? I've read a number of threads on this subject but haven't spotted any recent ones. An article in the Torygraph from about 3 years ago indicates that the CWGC were hoping to commence work on the Baghdad cemeteries after the destruction of the past 15 or so years.

While I'm on the subject, what is the current situation regarding travel to Iraq in general.

Thanks for any information,

Simon

FCO travel advice is here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/iraq

I do know that as of Feb this year that the cemetery in Kut is in good order and so there is hope that Basra is too.

EDIT: This photo of the Basra Memorial, which is outside town, was taken in Feb by the British Ambassador.

post-61373-0-61829700-1461602224_thumb.j

There is an article on CWGC cemeteries in Iraq on pp. 14-15 of today's Times, titled 'British war graves left to crumble in the dust. The online version is behind a paywall so no link, but some quotes from the print edition, which is by-lined 'Martin Fletcher Amara.'

The British cemetery in Amara now 'is an unsightly expanse of mud, weeds and uncut grass the size of four or five football pitches...the adjacent Indian graveyard for 5,000 Indian soldiers...has been commandeered by the Mayan Funfair, with it merry-go-rounds and giant Ferris wheels, and by the construction company that built it.'

The British cemetery in Basra 'really has become four or five football pitches, replete with goalposts....there is now not a blade of grass not any tree left - just mud, rubbish, foetid puddles and, in one corner, the remnants of civilian graves...three crude breeze-block houses have appeared in the adjacent Indian cemetery.'

Gareth

Thanks for your prompt response. It isn't me that was thinking of visiting Basra War Cemetery and having just read the foreign office advice I think I'd have changed my mind. The soldier my query relates to is Pte George Leigh, 2813, 1st Manchester Regiment who died of wounds 18/3/16 while attempting to relieve the Kut Garrison. My friend and his cousin have long cherished the thought of visiting their great uncle's grave (plot VF10). I understand that many headstones have been destroyed/perished and wondered if the CWGC had managed to restore/replace them. It would be nice to think that the CWGC would photograph each stone so at least family members would be able to see an image of the grave in a region where personal visits seem unlikely.

Thanks again

Simon

Seems the hopes I expressed in post #2 were misguided.

Horatio2

Thanks for your reply, I must say that as a reasonably seasoned traveller I have always sought Govt advice when travelling anywhere remotely dubious. Since joining this forum I've received a great deal of help from a large number of knowledgeable and friendly members, however there have been one or two (literally) who I'm not sure I would trust to guide me to my local bus stop (outside my house!).

Gibbo/Siegegunner

What a strange coincidence that there should articles published today! I don't buy either paper quoted so would have missed them entirely without your kind assistance.

The only plus side I can see is that at least some of the countries children are able to play again after what has been a pretty dark time for their nation although the choice of venue would certainly not have been mine.

Thanks again,

Simon

sincerely hope one day that the CWGC will be able to return safely and restore some form of lasting Memorial to the fallen. The pessimist in me thinks this may be a long time coming.

Simon,

Hopefully, one day in the not too distant future !

Regards,

LF

I have spoken to someone at CWGC who has told me that the Regional Supervisor is visiting Kut Cemetery (already rebuilt) and Baghdad North Gate Cemetery to check on the condition of the place. All looks good for further visits to Cemeteries in Iraq in the not too distant future. Saying that, I personally believe that Amara is now a lost cause and that the CWGC should now find an alternate place to remember the men buried there, most likely a Memorial in the nearest 'safe' country.

Approx 1 year ago I sent a full list of photographs to the BWG where they can be accessed, it is fair to say that these photographs show what I believe to be part neglect and vandalism.

I have only just found this topic due to my long absent from the GWF

SJC

• 5 weeks later...

Horatio2

Thanks for your reply, I must say that as a reasonably seasoned traveller I have always sought Govt advice when travelling anywhere remotely dubious. Since joining this forum I've received a great deal of help from a large number of knowledgeable and friendly members, however there have been one or two (literally) who I'm not sure I would trust to guide me to my local bus stop (outside my house!).

Gibbo/Siegegunner

What a strange coincidence that there should articles published today! I don't buy either paper quoted so would have missed them entirely without your kind assistance.

The only plus side I can see is that at least some of the countries children are able to play again after what has been a pretty dark time for their nation although the choice of venue would certainly not have been mine.

Thanks again,

Simon

Not a strange coincidence but a clear cut case of plagiarism.

I have spoken to someone at CWGC who has told me that the Regional Supervisor is visiting Kut Cemetery (already rebuilt) and Baghdad North Gate Cemetery to check on the condition of the place. All looks good for further visits to Cemeteries in Iraq in the not too distant future. Saying that, I personally believe that Amara is now a lost cause and that the CWGC should now find an alternate place to remember the men buried there, most likely a Memorial in the nearest 'safe' country.

Unfortunately the CWGC had to cancel the visits due to the security risks still ongoing.

• 7 years later...

A little late judging by the 2016 date stamp but you can get updates on the state of Basra War Cemetery here https://www.facebook.com/groups/245492631177850 things have not got better in the last 10 years and despite Iraq being as stable and safe as it has been since Saddams time the Commonwealth War Graves Commission continue to ignore the site.