Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Easter Rising - Casualties not on the wall

jdoyle

Glasnevin Cemetery now has a wall with the soldiers, civilians and rebels killed during the Rising. The focus is very much those killed in Ireland.

Some others that could possibly be added are listed below. Are there any others that anyone can think of?

Johnny

Lowestoft Bombardment 25th April 1916

Robert Vernon Mumford (8months)

Sidney Herbert Davey (16)

Annie Elizabeth Davey (21)

Petty Officer William Thomas Hollis (36)

Easter Rising Zeppelin Raid 24th/25th April 1916

Mrs Frances Gaze (73)

Carmanian crew (2 Norwegian sailors died of exposure following sinking by UB-19 after it landed Casement, Monteith and Bailey)

Johan Olsen (62)

Gabriel Svendson (18)

(Amongst the survivors was 16yr old cabin boy Thore Horve, later Norwegian Admiral/Head of Norwegian Navy)

UB-13 (destroyed outside Zeebrugge on way to support German Easter Rising raid on Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth)

post-65053-0-44086900-1461592425_thumb.j

SMS Seydlitz 24th April 1916

11 killed when the ship struck a mine en route to Lowestoft. No list of names found to date. Possibly a twelfth crewman died later but not confirmed.

E22 sub sunk by U18 (list from CWGC)

FLYNN PATRICK P 25 BACON HARRY SABIN H S BEWERS WILLIAM JOHN CORNELIUS W J C 39 BREWER JAMES WILLIAM J W 19 CARLES ALAN JAMES A J 22 CARTER FRED F 27 DADFORD CHARLES HERBERT C H 23 DIMSDALE REGINALD THOMAS R T 30 DUMELOW WILLIAM HENRY W H 26 DWYER JAMES J 22 ELLIOTT WILFRED W 35 FROST CHARLES ALBERT C A HAYWARD GEORGE JOHN G J 20 HAZELTON HAROLD H HINGSTON RICHARD HENRY BASSET R H B HOOD CHARLES ROBERT C R 24 HOSKIN JOHN CLEAVE J C 34 HUNT ERNEST WILLIAM E W 34 JECOCK GEORGE WEBSTER G W 24 JELF ERNEST SAMUEL E S 28 NORTON HAROLD FRANK H F 23 ORGAN FREDERICK JOHN F J PUCKHABER HERBERT ALBERT VICTOR H A V RAYER ARTHUR A REGAN EDWARD FELIX OWEN E F O ROOK WILLIAM W 26 SKINNER WILLIAM HENRY W H SKOYLES HENRY THOMAS H T 24 TREBBLE JOHN J 25 WOODLAND WILLIAM ROBERT W R COLLIER EDWARD Des FORGES E Des F

From the Drifter MOSS (list from CWGC)

BARBER HARRY H COOKE CHARLES C BIRD FRANCIS ARTHUR F A 16 GAY WILLIAM JAMES W J PAYNE W T SHREEVE PERCY SILVESTER P S

From HMS Conquest (list from CWGC)

BALDRY ARTHUR FREDERICK A F BALL ALFRED A 32 BARTON JOSEPH J 29 BATHO ARTHUR WILLIAM A W 19 BATTER FREDERICK EDGAR F E 27 BLUNDELL GEORGE HENRY G H BRODRICK PERCY JAMES P J 21 BULL CHARLES C CURTIS ERNEST HUMPHREY E H GARDNER WILLIAM RICHARD W R 18 HENSLEY FREDERICK HENRY F H HUTT ALFRED THOMAS A T 31 JUSTICE JAMES EDWARD J E 36 LAWRENCE JAMES JOHN J J 55 MERRITT JOHN EDWARD MARK J E M MICALLEF LUIGI L 40 NUNN ARTHUR A 22 PACKHAM PERCY ALBERT P A PENDLETON FRANK REGINALD F R 40 POTTER FRED F 25 ROSTRON JOHN HENRY J H SYMONS REGINALD JAMES MAGAR R J M TURNER CHARLES ALFRED C A

HMS Invincible (1 dead) and HMY Goissa (4 dead) (collided during the German raid

TODD

JOHN ERNEST

J E

McLEOD DONALD D 37 GRIMBLE WILLIAM W WARNE WILLIAM W 36 STEWART JAMES J 45

HMS Medea was involved in an action off Zeebrugge which is tenuously linked to the Easter Rising raid. 3 killed

LYNCH ALFRED A 23 ODELL GEORGE G 19 ROSE WILLIAM W

I've discounted the 18 dead on the drifter Clover Bank and the sinking of the drifter Au Fait as being Easter Rising related.

Possibly 1 member of the E22 crew taken prisoner

UC-5 appears to have grounded and the crew taken prisoner

The crew of the trawler King Stephen appear to have been taken prisoner by torpedo boat SMS G41. Not sure of numbers.

Unsure if the crew of the Alfred were taken prisoner or put in a lifeboat (not sure it was large enough to have a lifeboat) by UB-18. Unsure of numbers

22 on the Aud taken prisoner. No casualties.

Thanks very interesting all that

I was delving into that just last week as to the ancillary casualties that happened as a result of the Rising

I went out to see the 'Wall' last Monday and was not impressed I must say

I think the format is all wrong and also its just going to cause even more controversy down the line when they get to the 'Black and Tan' phase

Glasnevin might have been better going for a Memorial with no specific names on it all IMO

Glasnevin Cemetery now has a wall with the soldiers, civilians and rebels killed during the Rising. The focus is very much those killed in Ireland.

Some others that could possibly be added are listed below. Are there any others that anyone can think of?

Johnny

Lowestoft Bombardment 25th April 1916

Robert Vernon Mumford (8months)

Sidney Herbert Davey (16)

Annie Elizabeth Davey (21)

Petty Officer William Thomas Hollis (36)

Easter Rising Zeppelin Raid 24th/25th April 1916

Mrs Frances Gaze (73)

Carmanian crew (2 Norwegian sailors died of exposure following sinking by UB-19 after it landed Casement, Monteith and Bailey)

Johan Olsen (62)

Gabriel Svendson (18)

(Amongst the survivors was 16yr old cabin boy Thore Horve, later Norwegian Admiral/Head of Norwegian Navy)

UB-13 (destroyed outside Zeebrugge on way to support German Easter Rising raid on Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth)

attachicon.gifUB13casualties.jpg

SMS Seydlitz 24th April 1916

11 killed when the ship struck a mine en route to Lowestoft. No list of names found to date. Possibly a twelfth crewman died later but not confirmed.

E22 sub sunk by U18 (list from CWGC)

FLYNN PATRICK P 25 BACON HARRY SABIN H S BEWERS WILLIAM JOHN CORNELIUS W J C 39 BREWER JAMES WILLIAM J W 19 CARLES ALAN JAMES A J 22 CARTER FRED F 27 DADFORD CHARLES HERBERT C H 23 DIMSDALE REGINALD THOMAS R T 30 DUMELOW WILLIAM HENRY W H 26 DWYER JAMES J 22 ELLIOTT WILFRED W 35 FROST CHARLES ALBERT C A HAYWARD GEORGE JOHN G J 20 HAZELTON HAROLD H HINGSTON RICHARD HENRY BASSET R H B HOOD CHARLES ROBERT C R 24 HOSKIN JOHN CLEAVE J C 34 HUNT ERNEST WILLIAM E W 34 JECOCK GEORGE WEBSTER G W 24 JELF ERNEST SAMUEL E S 28 NORTON HAROLD FRANK H F 23 ORGAN FREDERICK JOHN F J PUCKHABER HERBERT ALBERT VICTOR H A V RAYER ARTHUR A REGAN EDWARD FELIX OWEN E F O ROOK WILLIAM W 26 SKINNER WILLIAM HENRY W H SKOYLES HENRY THOMAS H T 24 TREBBLE JOHN J 25 WOODLAND WILLIAM ROBERT W R COLLIER EDWARD Des FORGES E Des F

From the Drifter MOSS (list from CWGC)

BARBER HARRY H COOKE CHARLES C BIRD FRANCIS ARTHUR F A 16 GAY WILLIAM JAMES W J PAYNE W T SHREEVE PERCY SILVESTER P S

From HMS Conquest (list from CWGC)

BALDRY ARTHUR FREDERICK A F BALL ALFRED A 32 BARTON JOSEPH J 29 BATHO ARTHUR WILLIAM A W 19 BATTER FREDERICK EDGAR F E 27 BLUNDELL GEORGE HENRY G H BRODRICK PERCY JAMES P J 21 BULL CHARLES C CURTIS ERNEST HUMPHREY E H GARDNER WILLIAM RICHARD W R 18 HENSLEY FREDERICK HENRY F H HUTT ALFRED THOMAS A T 31 JUSTICE JAMES EDWARD J E 36 LAWRENCE JAMES JOHN J J 55 MERRITT JOHN EDWARD MARK J E M MICALLEF LUIGI L 40 NUNN ARTHUR A 22 PACKHAM PERCY ALBERT P A PENDLETON FRANK REGINALD F R 40 POTTER FRED F 25 ROSTRON JOHN HENRY J H SYMONS REGINALD JAMES MAGAR R J M TURNER CHARLES ALFRED C A

HMS Invincible (1 dead) and HMY Goissa (4 dead) (collided during the German raid

TODD

JOHN ERNEST

J E

McLEOD DONALD D 37 GRIMBLE WILLIAM W WARNE WILLIAM W 36 STEWART JAMES J 45

HMS Medea was involved in an action off Zeebrugge which is tenuously linked to the Easter Rising raid. 3 killed

LYNCH ALFRED A 23 ODELL GEORGE G 19 ROSE WILLIAM W

I've discounted the 18 dead on the drifter Clover Bank and the sinking of the drifter Au Fait as being Easter Rising related.

Possibly 1 member of the E22 crew taken prisoner

UC-5 appears to have grounded and the crew taken prisoner

The crew of the trawler King Stephen appear to have been taken prisoner by torpedo boat SMS G41. Not sure of numbers.

Unsure if the crew of the Alfred were taken prisoner or put in a lifeboat (not sure it was large enough to have a lifeboat) by UB-18. Unsure of numbers

22 on the Aud taken prisoner. No casualties.

Have a word with Knotty - he's already compiling a list of civilian ww1 casualties (I've just passed on to him records I'd already collected) and may have something.

Craig

Thanks very interesting all that

I was delving into that just last week as to the ancillary casualties that happened as a result of the Rising

I went out to see the 'Wall' last Monday and was not impressed I must say

I think the format is all wrong and also its just going to cause even more controversy down the line when they get to the 'Black and Tan' phase

Glasnevin might have been better going for a Memorial with no specific names on it all IMO

Have to agree, I was in Glasnevin last Sunday, what made the wall stand out was the seven members of the Garda standing there.

Peter

Johnny

The names on the wall are those who died in the Easter Rising, in Ireland. It isn't trying to do anything else.

Compiling a list of names of those whose deaths are connected to the Rising is interesting for historians, but not relevant to the wall. Should we add the names of the soldiers killed on both sides ( I presume some were) when capturing the notice-boards put up by the Germans telling Irish troops that the British Army was firing on Irishmen in Dublin?

Michael

post-3328-0-07641900-1462040158_thumb.jp

this is very much a throw the question out there for any that could be considered.

Obviously, Roger Casement didn't die in Ireland or during the Rising so there is possibly some wiggle room on the definition died in Ireland and in the Rising.

If the wall is for those that died in Ireland in the Rising there are likely to be a few names that need to be taken off.

However, one of the Glasnevin statements is "killed during or as a direct result of the 1916 Rebellion." The 2 Norwegian sailors should at least be on the wall in my opinion (but that is just my opinion). The Glasnevin statement could equally apply to the soldiers you've highlighted which would be an interesting bit of research.

Johnny