100 years on: the Yeomanry at Qatia 23rd April 1916

Simon_Fielding

Remembering the Yeomen who died a century ago today:

post-50-0-49716000-1461396708_thumb.jpg

Trooper Billy Moulder of Birmingham: kia 23rd April '16:

post-50-0-54110800-1461397572_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-14708900-1461397855_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-15520100-1461397877_thumb.jpg

Remembering also Major Harold Norfolk, 1st/1st Q.O.Worcester Hussars Yeomanry, who was reported missing following the affair at Qatia on 23rd April,1916.

It was hoped for a long time that he had been taken prisoner with Col.Coventry and many other officers and sent to Damascus. However, after many months it was finally accepted by the Army Council (March 1920) that he had been killed at Oghratina during this battle in which the Worcester Yeomanry made such an heroic fight against overwhelming numbers of Turks.

A letter was received in July,1916, from Lieut E.S.Ward, Worcester Yeomanry, then a prisoner of war, in which he stated in referring to the engagement on 23rd April,1916, that they had fought for three hours and that Major Norfolk, Worcester Yeomanry, had been killed in action.

He had previously served during the Boer War with the East Kent Regt., and later with the 13th Hussars. He resigned his commission in 1903, but joined up on the outbreak of the Great War and was given a commission in the Q.O.Worcester Hussars Yeomanry as Captain on the 25th November,1914.

He was a son of Mr and Mrs Edward Norfolk, of 14, St Germans Place, Blackheath. He was the husband of Annie May Norfolk and also left two small sons and a daughter. He is commemorated by name on the Jerusalem Memorial. Age 37.

R.I.P. :poppy: :poppy:

Lt Brian Hatton - a gifted artist; from Celia Davies' biography:

post-50-0-55680600-1461413501_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-50157200-1461413782_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

Hello, Simon.   I've just been looking through comments on the forum from several years ago, and found a thread where I spoke of my great uncle who died at Qatia, and you were kind enough to reply, although it was to say you could find no information on him.

I shall keep looking through the accounts that people have so helpfully posted so that I can build up a better picture for myself which I may include in our family's history to pass on to the 'Littles' who hopefully will one day have an interest in hearing about the heroes of the past.

Corporal Reginald Lee is remembered on several memorials, so he isn't quite forgotten, and certainly not by our family.   One of the 'Littles' is called Reginald, I'm glad to say.

One thing that does rather surprise me is that he was employed at Croome Court in the Hunt Kennels (at least since 1911 when his name appears on the census), and joined the Yeomanry presumably in 1914, and yet his name doesn't appear on the Role of Honour at Croome.  I need to do more research to find out why!

I shall enjoy being reacquainted with this website.   All best wishes.

LJ

• Admin

Welcome back @Linda J here is the previous thread you mention.

On 23/04/2016 at 08:51, Simon_Fielding said:

post-50-0-14708900-1461397855_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-15520100-1461397877_thumb.jpg

Thank you for reminding me of this. (No photos, I'm afraid. I have seen photos on a couple of ancestry trees.)

I have come across this battle while researching Lt Col Henry Annesley Gray-Cheape who was Albert Cay's brother in law.

Also killed on 23 April 1915 was Captain Leslie St Clair Cheape, 1 King's Dragoon Guards, adjutant to the Worcestershire yeomanry, also Albert Cay's brother in law. (Right hand end of the front row in the phot' of the officers.)

Catherine Beatrice Cay (m.s. Cheape) was drowned when the Empress of Ireland was lost in the St Lawrence on 29 May 1914.

RM

Hello again Linda - I will have another go at Pte Lee - the Newspaper Archives have Berrows' Worcester Journal indexed for 1917 and there is a fine index for the illustrated supplement which has dozens of casualty photos in the months after the battle...

16 hours ago, Linda J said:

Hello, Simon.   I've just been looking through comments on the forum from several years ago, and found a thread where I spoke of my great uncle who died at Qatia, and you were kind enough to reply, although it was to say you could find no information on him.

I shall keep looking through the accounts that people have so helpfully posted so that I can build up a better picture for myself which I may include in our family's history to pass on to the 'Littles' who hopefully will one day have an interest in hearing about the heroes of the past.

Corporal Reginald Lee is remembered on several memorials, so he isn't quite forgotten, and certainly not by our family.   One of the 'Littles' is called Reginald, I'm glad to say.

One thing that does rather surprise me is that he was employed at Croome Court in the Hunt Kennels (at least since 1911 when his name appears on the census), and joined the Yeomanry presumably in 1914, and yet his name doesn't appear on the Role of Honour at Croome.  I need to do more research to find out why!

I shall enjoy being reacquainted with this website.   All best wishes.

LJ

image.png.9f3d8de679df43b20462c9a92ada2d7d.png

Does this sound like your relative Linda? The Records Office in Worcester should be able to provide a copy of the image...I'll check the other newspapers...

Yes, it is him.  I think I've seen that entry.  I'm just revisiting all my records, and our attendance at the Qatia Memorial in Worcester this April has made me determined to find out more if I can, especially the question of the Croome Roll of Honour!

Thank you for your reply.  I shall enjoy looking through all the other posts.  (I love those words from Wilfred Owen, by the way.)

LJ

Thank you again, Simon.   I used to spend quite a bit of time at the Hive in Worcester when my family research was in full genealogical flow!  I shall resume it now my appetite has been re-whetted!   I shall be away until mid July, but I look forward to resuming it all with enthusiasm when I return.

I see one of your interests is the Worcestershire Regiment.  I'm told that my maternal grandfather's story is an interesting one, as he remained with 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regt throughout the War, having joined the Army in 1912.  He was demobbed in 1919 - not unscathed, as he was suffering from the effects of gas and died at the relatively young age of 43.  I have his three medals (one of which is the Mons Star and clasp).

His details: 12978 Pte Alfred George Jones