Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate

Wesley Wright

Have been told groups/bands/ etc are not allowed to walk/march to Menin Gate anymore--security reasons?

Anyone have more information.

Wesley Wright

Nothing on the Last Post Association's website about that.

How else would bands/groups get the gate?

You assemble inside the Gate

I was there the Saturday before last and a pipe band marched up playing from the Grote Markt and played under the Gate during the ceremony.

I recently received this from the Last Post Association:

Please note that we now draw a distinction between being ‘on parade’ during the ceremony and marching to the Menin Gate ‘in parade’ before the ceremony starts. The former is no problem; the latter we do not encourage.

Living so close to the Menin Gate Memorial as I do I often witness and speak with those attending the ceremony. Some report they have been informed by the local police that they MUST apply for permission to march along any public roads including from the Great Square leading to the memorial & also must have in place the necessary insurance policy however, bands & other groups simply often just turn up and march. I have yet to see any stopped in mid flow so to speak but that doesn't mean it has never happened.

Best advice. Please contact the local police and town hall for up to date and correct information. Ty here; www.ieper.be

It seems hugely inconsiderate simply to turn up and assume that you can effectively take over a chunk of a city for your own purposes, no matter how laudable the reason. One can only hope that those wishing to march to the Gate will have the sense to make arrangements in advance. The LPA message is diplomatically worded but they are clearly saying "don't do it."