Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pipe Major James Taylor 5477 1st HLI

seaforth78

This well known piper, brother of Pipe Major William Taylor, 1st Seaforths transferred to the 1st HLI as PM in 1903. His number was 5477, but I have three questions if you please:

1. When he transferred to the HLI, did he change his number?

2. What was his number, if applicable, for the Great War changed when he transferred to the 3rd Seaforths in 1910?

3. Also could anyone confirm if he only received the 'Atbara' bar on his Khedive's Sudan for the 1898 campaign or both Khartoum and Atbara bars? (Wrong war I know but just trying to follow up on something here....

Many thanks!

This well known piper, brother of Pipe Major William Taylor, 1st Seaforths transferred to the 1st HLI as PM in 1903. His number was 5477, but I have three questions if you please:

1. When he transferred to the HLI, did he change his number?

2. What was his number, if applicable, for the Great War changed when he transferred to the 3rd Seaforths in 1910?

3. Also could anyone confirm if he only received the 'Atbara' bar on his Khedive's Sudan for the 1898 campaign or both Khartoum and Atbara bars? (Wrong war I know but just trying to follow up on something here....

Many thanks!

1. & 2. 9575

3. Only one clasp (3) mentioned in the rolls available on Ancestry.

Still looking at his service records on FindMyPast.

Mark

Clarification: service records show he received Sudan Medal 1898 with ATBARA clasp.

Mark

He didn't transfer to the HLI as Pipe Major in 1903. He was only appointed Sergeant-Piper (e.g. P/M) of the 1st Bn. HLI on 10th October 1904.

But yes, he had another regimental number.....9575.

Appears to have transferred to the 2nd Bn. HLI in November 1909 but then transferred to the 3rd Bn. HLI as Sergeant-Piper on 1st July 1910, where he remained until February 1919.

Appears to only have been recipient of the Atbara clasp.

The records also mention by the way that he had been in the 1st Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers when he attested for the Seaforths in 1895.

His records are available online.

Many thanks BFBSM and Ron, for both of your efforts much appreciated. It's been many moons ago since I collected medals to the Sudan campaign and since I no longer possess the Khedives roll for the Seaforths I couldn't confirm Taylor's entitlement. Odd though that he didn't get the bar for Khartoum as the whole Regiment was there on 2nd September. Perhaps he stayed up wit the baggage at Darmali.

Ron, indeed in 1904 not 1903 my typo. Like his brother, he won the Oban Gold Medal for piobaireachd as he was very good player as they were both taught by their father, Henderson Taylor.

• 1 month later...

Here's the medal of Piper (later Pipe Major) James Taylor, 1st Seaforth Highlanders with the Atbara clasp.

post-88538-0-39543600-1464071806_thumb.j

Here's the medal of Piper (later Pipe Major) James Taylor, 1st Seaforth Highlanders with the Atbara clasp.

Thanks for posting....that was worth seeing.

Ron,

You had mentioned that Taylor's records are online. Would that be Find My Past or Ancestry?

Many thanks as usual.

Ron,

You had mentioned that Taylor's records are online. Would that be Find My Past or Ancestry?

Many thanks as usual.

Find My Past

Found it. Thanks Ron.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Seaforth78,

I apologise for my ill-founded remarks. No malice was intended.

For what it is worth, I appreciate your medal and sword expertise.

Keep up the postings.

Kindest regards,

Kimberley John Lindsay.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hallo, aboode: I know I'm a bit late with this, but if you mean William and James Taylor, they were born in West Calder, Halkirk, Caithness; William (my grandfather) died in Ardersier, Invernessshire, and James in Edinburgh.