Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did anyone win ballot tickets?

Harvey H

Hi guys,

I've posted this to see if any fellow members of the GWF won tickets for this years service at Thiepval on the first.

Kind Regards,

Harvey

I failed the first time, but was lucky the second time,by which time it was no longer convenient to attend!

Martin

Harvey

Just started a new topic regarding Somme commemoration taking place in Manchesters Heaton Park on 1st July. Full details are on tonight's Manchester Evening News website. It's free but tickets need to be booked. If you, or any other members can't get to Thiepval then get to Heaton Park where approximately half of the Manchester Pals were billeted and received basic training.

Simon

Cheers for the offer Simon but we had the Leger battlefield tour on the Somme booked before we even knew we won tickets.

AYesha and I won tickets, and will be,attending.......smug grin!

Bruce

I failed the first time, but was lucky the second time,by which time it was no longer convenient to attend!

Martin

Got them on eBay, then?

(I have absolutely no interest in buying them, in case you were thinking ...)

AYesha and I won tickets, and will be,attending.......smug grin!

Bruce

Good luck. I can honestly think of nowhere I would less rather be ... "Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife ..." indeed.

Steven,

I informed the organisers that I no longer wanted them, and they went back into the distribution system.

Martin

I have tickets, but may well be returning them to the pool for reallocation. Bruce's tent will still be pitched in a distant field though.

I was lucky enough to win tickets. I am still pinching myself. Its been a bit frantic trying to book travel and accommodation, but I managed it. It may be exceptionally busy, but I think its a small price to pay to Honour my Great uncles. It will be a once in a centenary experience.

Commiserations to those who didn't get tickets.

Lorraine

• 2 weeks later...

My wife won a pair of tickets on the first draw then her parents won on the second draw, so we're all going together. Accommodation booked too. Reactions amongst my friends have varied from "lucky so and so's" to "I honestly wouldn't want to go" and all points in between...

Good for you fella :D

I think that quite a few people who won tickets initially have dropped out for one reason and another. A former colleague who applied and failed has just heard that he has been allocated two tickets.

I have to say I was so dissapointed not to obtain tickets for my wife and I.but at this late stage in the scheme of things If I was offered them now I would reluctanly have to refuse them, due to being disabled. It would be so difficult to obtain suitable accomodation for me. But I am not a sore loser I wish everyone who did suceed a good day at the commemorations

as an act of rememberance, we will be on the Somme over the days (her birthday 2nd) , would prefer to give the boys the respect they deserve.

a few quiet thoughts and get round as many as possible rather than the rush and pomp by those who can be there rather than those who want to be there...

I have tickets, but may well be returning them to the pool for reallocation. Bruce's tent will still be pitched in a distant field though.

Ayesha is expecting hot and cold running water, a shower and arm chairs.

Some tent!

Bruce