Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17296 John Henry Power MM Lancashire Fusiliers

depaor01

Hi all,

I recently bought a BWM to a John Henry Power (17296 Lancashire Fusiliers) from a seller who stated the recipient was also awarded an MM. Having bought the BWM from him, he mentioned in passing that he also happened to have the MM :w00t: at which point I felt duty bound to sell one of my children to buy it also

I'm aware of the views held here on "medal group splitters" and all I can say is that I was glad the seller flagged this with me and that I happily had the wherewithal to purchase both awards.

Anyway, to my query:

John Henry Power was mentioned in the London Gazette on the 14th January 1918 as a being in 3rd/5th Battalion, but is mentioned on an Army Order 20 of 1919 form (?) as being from the 19th Batt. Lancashire Fusiliers. I am clueless about which War Diary to order from Kew to see details of the action in which Pte. (later Lance Cpl) Power earned his award.

Does anyone have the diary that might mention him, or could someone perhaps point me towards where to see the appropriate diary in the NA?

Thanks,

Dave

Sounds like his MM could be in respect of 3/5th's attack towards Passchendaele on 9th October 1917. Unfortunately my copy of the LF Regimental History is at school but I'll check it tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. It lists most gallantry awards after the action for which they were won.

Mark is correct. These are medals awarded to 3/5th Lancashire Fusiliers from Third Ypres. Picture wrong way though!

post-64236-0-94379000-1461173712_thumb.j

• Admin

Just to note that he was an original member of the 19th Bn LF - in X Platoon, C Company.

M Stedman: Salford Pals: 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th Battalions Lancashire Fusiliers - A History of the Salford Brigade.

Russ

Edit. His medal roll shows he went from the 19th LF to the 3/5th LF and ended up in the 2/8th LF

I have featured this action on a couple of my school battlefield tours. Bury Grammar old boy Captain Frank Bentley (killed 1918) won the MC for his part in leading a patrol into the village of Passchendaele itself. Some years ago the body of an unidentified LF officer, almost certainly from 3/5th LF, was discovered buried in the railway cutting ( now a bridlepath) along which they attacked. He was reburied in the nearby Tyne Cot Cemetery. A vivid account of the nightmarish conditions in which the attack was made was written by the battalion's medical officer and included in the War Diary.

Thanks for the information lads. Mark, that lookup would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

[Edit] Great info in record time! Thanks everyone.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Shred,

Those newspaper cuttings are fantastic! Great to have an image of him, and great background info I can use for further research. Huge apologies for not thanking you when you replied. I find that some (very important) replies an get lost when you use the "view unread" which I do.

Many thanks again.

Dave (Power!)

• spof changed the title to 17296 John Henry Power MM Lancashire Fusiliers