Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner James Donald Sykes-died from sunstroke

Mark Hone

This old boy of Bury Grammar School (and Stockport Grammar) died in Mesopotamia in June 1916. I knew that he had died of natural causes but had presumed that it would have been from something like dysentry. However, a stark note beneath his photograph in the ' Bury Guardian' records 'died of sunstroke'. I know that it can be very unpleasant but how common was death from this cause? Am I right in thinking that it would be termed 'heatstroke ' or ' heat exhaustion' these days? Thank you as always for any assistance.

Both sunstroke and heatstroke were terms used. As far as I am aware they are the same condition.

I do not know how common it was in absolute terms, but references to it may be seen.

There was a scandal in 1916 in India when many Territorial troops died on a troop train from heatstroke.

"Death Of Territorials In India". House of Lords. Hansard 25 July 1916 vol 22 cc911-6, 01 August 1916 vol 22 cc1037-42. "Karachi Troop Train Incident". House of Lords. Hansard 18 May 1920 vol 40 cc390-404, 21 July 1920 vol 41 cc413-20. 10 August 1920 vol 41 cc1169-79

My understanding is that it was basically a dehydration problem, and perhaps was more common among troops unaccustomed to very hot weather, who did not appreciate just how much fluid was necessary to drink and their officers who similarly did not know this, and failed to make adequate provision for their men.

Once suffering, if temperatures could be reduced quickly with ice, (or other means), recovery was possible. However in a lot of places such as Mesopotamia, drinking water may have been in short supply, and ice was probably only available in a few hospitals.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks. Of course, now that I recall, there has been a tragic recent incident of heat-related deaths during British Army training.

An Irishman who was the minister of a small church in Kirkcudbrightshire. He died of "heat Exhaustion" in Iraq.

John Davis age 38 Private (84040) River Sick Convoy Unit, Royal Army Medical Corps.

John was educated in Belfast and at Edinburgh University and had been the Minister of Buittle Parish Church since 1907. He enlisted in December 1915, was mobilised in July 1916, sailed in September 1916 for Basra, via Alexandria, Suez and Bombay. He was posted to the RSCU at the end of November and was on one of the first river boats to reach Baghdad after it fell to British troops.. He was admitted to the 2nd British Hospital, Amara on 12 July 1917 and died of heat exhaustion.

Born 1878 in Magheradroll, Ballynahinch. Co. Down, Northern Ireland. Son of the late Rev. John Davis of Ballynahinch Manse, Co. Down, and of Elizabeth Davis of 116 Fitzroy Avenue, Belfast. Husband of Margaret (Kernahan) Davis of Manse of Buittle and of Grasmere, Lansdowne Road, Belfast who he married in 1908 in Belfast.

Died on Active Service on 22 July 1917 and buried in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq.

In the history of the 13th Hussars in WW1 there is mention & photo of the grave of a Sgt. I think it was who died of heatstroke shorlty after they regt landed from France in Mespot I think it was. The author felt it was important enough to put the photo of the grave in the book.

Thanks. Of course, now that I recall, there has been a tragic recent incident of heat-related deaths during British Army training.

Yes indeed, the Coroner's Inquest was quite damning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-35709014

This happened despite all sorts of biometric monitoring and gps tracking, being in place.

It's not hard to imagine how much more common heat exhaustion would have been 100 years ago, in a much hotter, drier climate without modern day monitoring or health care backup.

There was a thread fairly recently regarding a man who collapsed and died whilst on the march in France IIRC.

"Casualties in the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force, November 1914 to December 1918" page 218 History of the Great War Based on Official Documents: Medical Services: Casualties and Medical Statistics of the Great War by Major T. J. Mitchell and Miss G. M. Smith. 1931 Hathi Trust Digital Library gives the following statistics:

No deaths due to heatstroke 1914-1916.

613 deaths due to heat stroke in 1917 (page 239), of which 482 deaths were in the period 7 July 1917 to 28 July 1917 (page 244).

45 deaths due to heat stroke in 1918 (page 240)

Total deaths due to heat stroke 658. Note a table for the combined years 1914-1918 gives Nil

"Heat-Stroke" Chapter IV page 51 In Mesopotamia by Martin Swayne (real name Maurice Nicoll) 3rd edition 1918 Archive.org.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you so much for these references. I like to add supporting information to the obituaries on our roll of honour, helping to fit them into the wider context of the war. However, Gunner Sykes died in June 1916, so did they miss him off the statistics? The chapter on Heatstroke by 'Martin Swayne' is brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently writing his detailed obituary for our Roll of Honour. One point I can't quite confirm is whether he actually served at Gallipoli. As part of 13th Division Artillery he should have done but his MIC records his initial theatre of war in July 1915 as 'Egypt'. His obituary in the Bury Times (admittedly brief) details his enlistment and training and eventual dispatch to Mespot but does not mention Gallipoli. Forum Pal John Hartley, in his entry on the online Stockport War Memorial, assumes that he did see active service on the Peninsula and notes that his brother Wilfred ( also an old boy of BGS and Stockport, incorrectly recorded as 'William' on the 1901 Census) was wounded serving with 7th Manchesters there. Any help with confirming his presence at the Dardanelles (or not) would be much appreciated.

"Casualties in the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force, November 1914 to December 1918" page 218 History of the Great War Based on Official Documents: Medical Services: Casualties and Medical Statistics of the Great War by Major T. J. Mitchell and Miss G. M. Smith. 1931 Hathi Trust Digital Library gives the following statistics:

No deaths due to heatstroke 1914-1916.

613 deaths due to heat stroke in 1917 (page 239), of which 482 deaths were in the period 7 July 1917 to 28 July 1917 (page 244).

45 deaths due to heat stroke in 1918 (page 240)

Total deaths due to heat stroke 658. Note a table for the combined years 1914-1918 gives Nil

"Heat-Stroke" Chapter IV page 51 In Mesopotamia by Martin Swayne (real name Maurice Nicoll) 3rd edition 1918 Archive.org.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you, Maureen, for these very interesting references. That Swayne chapter is remarkable - poetic as well as sensible. It reminded me of living in northern Nigeria in the hot season with only occasional electricity or running water, but fortunately not under the conditions of the army in WW1. I must read the rest of it.

Liz