Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

121966 Sapper Thomas Lloyd Royal Engineers

Alisonmallen62

Alison

Still looking.

I have the WDs for 184 TC WO 95/336/1 and 336/2 which cover 1916. I have indexed the names but no trace of Tom Lloyd. I also have the WD for July 1917 WO 95/336/4 but I am missing January to June 1917 (336/3). I will go through 336/4 for you. 

In the Service Record of 57433 Lawrence Deane RE there is a list dated 22/09/1917 headed 184 TC showing Casualties, Transfers etc which lists 121686 Spr Lloyd A.

I have two other papers which show 112811 Spr T Lloyd of 175 Co and 132696 Spr T Lloyd of 250 TC. I will do a bit more digging on those.

Brian

EDIT: 336/4 names other rank casualties on a regular basis, I paid attention to July, August and September 1917 but no trace of 121966 T Lloyd. 

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Thank you George yes that was me who put that info up.  Anything on ancestry trees or remembrance sites will be me as no one else is researching Tom as there is no one in the family who knew him or are interested sadly.   
Brian thank you I watch your lists carefully always!  I assume you have not found your grandfather as yet.  
I have a tree on ancestry as stated and have done as much research as I can on this man and I just cannot find who his parents were, where he was born for definite, and what his injury was for him to receive a pension.  I have several subscriptions going on right now so will have to try and get fokd 3 soon.  However, many thanks again for all the help and Kevin too who messaged me on ancestry

George

Hannah Lloyd formerly Moss nee Price Living at 50 Church Street Aberbargoed - 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Alison have you got anywhere with your gt. grandmother's name etc? Is she on the 1939 register?

And Register taken 29th Sept 1939 so do you know his death date?

George

Edited by George Rayner

Hi gg listed above.  I have seen the 39 register but Tom died just before it was taken a matter of days in fact.  She detested him and so any info given to the family by her was full of hate so no one had a good picture of him till I recorded my grandfather’s war memories.  He was a regular and understood what ‘old Lloyd’ has been through so I researched from 1989 on him but only in recent years finding anything available!  I know when and where he attested just do t know what injury he got and what would have made him get a pension.  Tom had a daughter registered as Irene Moss but she passed away years ago and was not in contact with the Moss family.  

Edited by Alisonmallen62

You need someone with access to Fold3 I think! My subscriptions don't run that far but someone will be along I'm sure

Name: Thomas Lloyd
Record Type: Disability
Birth Date: 1875
Residence Place: Aberbargoed
Military Service Region: Wales, Wales
Discharge Date: 20 Jan 1919
Service Number: 121966
Corps, Regiment or Unit: R. E.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=1076118&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=JrD2867&_phstart=successSource

Just to help colleagues!

George

Thank you

We think he may have had some kind of gas poisoning and a bad chest.  Perhaps that was what the injury was in 1917.  

The pension ledger/card above: Born 1875. Discharged 20 1 1919. Single. Address = (5 struck out and 50 inserted) Chapel Street, Aberbargoed. His claim was for Rheumatism (which was deemed 10% aggravated by service). Payments stopped 23 7 1921.

Alison

In the Service Record of Herbert Gandy, Manchester Regt there is a partial list of sick and wounded RE which shows 112811 Spr T Lloyd of 175 (TC). I have dated the list to June 1916.

In the Service Record of 65334 George Abraham Williams RE there is a report by Major General F W Glubb, Chief Engineer, 2nd Army dated 28/06/1916 and addressed to the OC 250 TC. It names men for their meritorious conduct. One of the names is 132696 Spr T Lloyd.

These are the other Tunnellers named T Lloyd.

No, I still have not found my RE grandfather but only this week I found a list of RE names that do not appear to have been indexed by FMP (See Casualty Lists) so there is hope for us both yet.

Brian

Brian yes I saw that I follow anything you post so fingers crossed and thank you for the T Lloyd info.  The book Beneath Flanders Fields has T Lloyd in it and it would be fantastic to know which tunneller he was. I hope it was my T Lloyd. I will have a look at these others. 

Hywyn many thanks for that information.  Very interesting and I wonder if the damp working in mines prior to war and during added to his rheumatism.  I have to say it was somewhat disappointing - if you know what I mean - to see he had rheumatism as I hoped he would be claiming for an injury and solve a mystery!   The family were incredibly poor and my grandfather told me when he joined the army he was given a whole egg to eat which he had never experienced as he had always had to share.  Tom Lloyd did let them down financially as he wandered and drank away the money.  My ggran worked at the mine but she was disabled so it never lasted and I really dont know how they managed except hopes were pinned on my grandfather earning for them.  He was supposed to play for Arsenal but when the time came he didn’t have the fare to get there and I believe ggran ensured some blame was sent Tom Lloyd’s way.  

Brian I had a look on ancestry for 132696 T Lloyd.  Under awards and decorations he has not come up as 132 but the list says 152696 and it is amended to 133696.  Seems a bit odd.  I found 121686 as E Lloyd but 112811 certainly as T Lloyd.  In fact I looked at how many Lloyd’s in general there was in R E quite a lot!  I wonder if my 121966 is incorrectly recorded somewhere on casualty lists but he certainly isn’t on medal documentation or his pension.  I would love it if his record were to be found but I guess it was burnt. 

Alison

I checked the list for 184 TC again and the entry could well be Lloyd E, which would agree with the Medal Rolls for 121686 which show Edward Lloyd. I have not checked the 1917 lists for accuracy yet, I'm still working on 1916.

112811 is Thomas Lloyd and the correct number for the other Thomas Lloyd is 132696 (see his MRIC and the Medal Rolls).

I'm going through MH 106 Admissions Books at the moment from January to September 1916 and I am finding some RE names that are either not on FMP or have been indexed with incorrect details.  I will let you know if he turns up.

Brian

Wonderful many thanks indeed your assistance is much appreciated. I looked again at the amendments for T Lloyd I think  someone originally typed the wrong number as it is out of sequence and then has been crossed out in blue pencil/pen.  It has to be 132696 though.  

Hywyn I noticed the birth year was a year out as marriage details state 1876 but a year out isn’t bad my actual gg who married Margaret Hannah first got his wrong each census! 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

• 1 year later...

Some time ago members kindly helped me with my search for Thomas Lloyd my step ggf. He was a miner who joined the Royal Engineers. However, I was under the impression that his address was 50 Church Street, Aberbargoed.  How I missed this I dnt know but his pension record states 50 Chapel Street, Aberbargoed.  These streets are not far from each other.  My ggmother did live at Church Street with her first husband but can anyone confirm if Tom used her address on anything please?  I’m not sure where members found all their detail on him.  He stated she was next of kin I know, but he didn’t marry her till 1920.  Thank you 

One thing to mention is that people often moved to places of lower rent, sometimes just a few doors away. Its highly likely that both addresses are correct.

• spof changed the title to 121966 Sapper Thomas Lloyd Royal Engineers

Yes the Moss family which was my gg mother and grandfather moved several times just to the next street.  They last lived together at 50 Church Street.   However Thomas Lloyd wasnt ‘with’ my gran till he left for war which he must have been otherwise he would not have put her as next of kin.   Her husband had died in 1916.   It has not been possible to find out where he originated from - possibly Carmarthenshire - but he was an unmarried man.  I just wondered if there was anything on information when he attested which suggested his address was Chapel Street.  It would likely have been somewhere he rented and shared with others just not my gran.   I do know he didn’t return to Church Street in 1919 when he came home because my ggran had moved to a tiny cottage a couple of miles away.  I cannot find absent voters info.  

Alison

I'm still waiting to get back to Kew to have a look at those two hospital admission books for 31 CCS that have not been scanned by FMP. MH 106/617 and 618. They cover the period end of July beginning of August 1917 when I think Tom Lloyd was wounded. 

This image is from old-maps.co.uk dated 1920. I can find Church St Aberbargoed but not Chapel St (I even tried looking near Chapels). There is another Church St and Capel St on the other side of the Brecon and Merthyr Railway in Bargoed. 

Brian

001.JPG

"I can find Church St Aberbargoed but not Chapel St (I even tried looking near Chapels)."

Chapel street runs past the Caersalem Baptist Chapel and is on Google

Google shows Church St as you have it

Thank you Sir

I don't know how I missed it. (image courtesy old-maps.co.uk) 

Brian

001.JPG

Thank you all, find commercial street and school street runs down from it with chapel running across the bottom.  I have walked round there lots and there are shortcuts and alleys and I certainly think gg was having an affair with Tom but he came home traumatised and she didn’t care.  I just feel I would like to know more about him.  Brian if you find out more that would be brilliant thank you.  I now have his medals which was a great surprise.