Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Danzig Alley Cem.

OverByChristmas

I'm hoping a reader to this forum might be able to help me with some travel advice as i've not been to the battlefields of northern France before.

I have a travel plan of Eurostar London St Pancras to Lille, domestic service train from Lille to Albert for the short journey to Memetz and the cemetery.

My questions are, is there a taxi service from Albert to Memetz & importantly, back again?? Is the international train station at Lille close to the domestic train station, walking distance??

Thank you in advance, i appreciate any advice or comments, regards, Kerry Foster.

Welcome. You might want to change your thread title to include your question rather than about the chap and his name.

Edited.

Hi Kerry and welcome to the forum. Lille Europe which is the Eurostar terminal is 500 metres from Lille Flandres where most of the trains that serve Albert depart from. I think it is signposted but it is straightforward and easy walking distance, you can see one station from the other. It's ten minutes at a brisk walking pace. There are trains to Arras which stop at Lille Europe, you might be able to change there as an alternative, but you get more choice from Lille Flandres. I have never done it myself but I am sure that taxis are available from the station in Albert; you won't be the first person to arrive and want conveying to a cemetery. I have some Aussie friends who I met at Fromelles and they got a cab out and booked the same guy back an hour later. Just out of interest when are you thinking of going?

Pete.

Hi Pete, thanks for the info. It's exactly what i was looking for, appreciate it!!

Lille Flandres sounds like it'll give me travel options to Albert so on your advice i'll make the 10 minute walk.

The date i'll be there was offered on my first un-edited version but running through again on Saturday 1st October 2016 i'll be at the last resting place and remembering Major AG Astley MC killed on the Somme by a sniper exactly 100 years earlier.

While i'm there are there any gravestones you wanted photographing??

Again, i appreciate your travel advice.

Regards, Kerry.

The walking route from Lille Europe to Lille Flandres is well signposted.

I have heard that taxis from Albert station are not always readily available, but haven't tried this myself. I'm sure others with direct experience will comment.

WHilst awaiting a taxi at Albert railway station, look up.

I can't think of another railway booking hall will an aircraft suspended from the ceiling.

It is a Potez two seater, and was manufactured just down th road between the wars.

Bruce

Thanks Sassenach, i'll prepare for the worse but hope for the best when it comes to taxis, better pack those walking shoes!!

I'll have a good few hours to stroll about Memetz & Albert so will take in the sights Bruce, cheers for the tip.

Kerry.

Kerry

I wonder if there may be an organised tour that takes in Mametz (Dantzig Alley) from either Albert or Arras ?

If you have time whilst in Mametz it's worth taking a stroll down the lane at the back of the cemetery where you will find a superb monument in memory of the Welsh fusiliers, it's facing Mametz Wood and in my view is one of the best on the Somme.

There are a couple of other "notables" buried in Dantzig Alley. Captain Charles May of the 22nd Manchesters (7th Mcr Pals) is there, his diaries have recently been published under the title "To fight alongside friends" and it's an excellent read. Captain Alfred Bland (also 7th Mcr Pals) resides there, he was a prolific writer whose collection is now housed at the IWM.

Finally, please say hello to my grandads mates who sadly didn't make it beyond Mametz. It's a while since I last visited but hope to again one day.

Simon

Kerry

I was also going to suggest that you might consider an organised tour. I'm pretty sure that some operate from Albert. Apart from removing any doubt about getting a taxi, you would get to see many of the key sites at the Somme in a day, or a half day. You'd need to make sure the tour covers the location you want to go too, of course. I suspect the cost wouldn't be much more than a taxi would charge just to go to and from. I agree with previous comments about Capt May; his letter to his wife written just before the Battle is moving in the extreme.

Thanks for your input guys, it's made my travel plans all the easier.

An organised tour is something i've not considered so will look into it Simon & Sassenach, it'll add more depth to my pilgrimage to view the lay of the land & hear of the sacrifice made by both sides.

I'll certainly find time to pay my respects at the Welch Memorial, i'm taking small crosses to leave at various locations so none will be forgotten.

ObC

If you're thinking of an organised tour, may I suggest my pal, and forum member, Ken Lees. Ken lives on the battlefields and can configure a personalised tour for you.

http://www.explore1914-18.com/info.html

As you'll see, Ken can meet you at the station and away you go.

By the by, the view over the area of 30th Division attack is excellent from Danzig Alley.

John

I have a travel plan of Eurostar London St Pancras to Lille.

Hi Kerry, can you drive? It is very easy to hire a car at Eurostar Lille, and the drive down to the Somme is not far and not difficult. This would give you more flexibility getting around the battlefields.

Regards

Tom

Cheers for the contact link John, i'll certainly drop Ken a line. His organised tour might be better than traipsing round the French countryside by myself !!

Tom-On-The-Somme (great user name BTW) i can drive but in this instance i'll duck this time.

Thanks again folks, it's all falling into place, roll on 1st October. Kerry.