Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adric/Volunteers at a wedding.

Guest Peacefulpaddy

Guest Peacefulpaddy

A newbie having a look. I recently was lent a book about the auxiliary division in Ireland in the early 1920's. Good book but only researched on one side unfortunately. I've had access to quite a few items, letters, photographs and stories from both sides of that conflict. I Had relations in the volunteers and in the Crown forces Inc the Adric. My grand uncle had a lovely picture of 4 ex Adric and 6 volunteers taken in Tralee in the 1950s. A story not well known which speaks volumes about humanity considering the absolute hatred that once existed there. 2 ex Adric were at my grand aunts wedding in Killarney in the 1930s..

Yes, a troublesome time for Ireland.

The ADRIC were the Auxilliary Division of the Royal Irish Constabulary set up in 1920 to counter the IRA.

An interesting period,coming not long after the end of the Great War but not really within the remit of the Great War Forum.

Hi

Welcome to the forum

I have a web site http://theauxiliaries.com/which researches all the 2000 odd men that joined. I would certainly be interested in any photos of names that you can give me - it all helps build up the pictureI. You can contact me by email off the site if you do not want to do it on this forum

There were certainly a number of ADRIC marrying local girls - oddly it seems more in Kerry than elsewhere