Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Bluff, Theipval Sector

KarBon5

I have been been reading the War Diary regarding my Great Uncle's regiment during September 1916 - he was in 1/4th KOYLI, 148th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division.

It states that on 18th September they were on the front line North Bluff, Theipval Sector. Can anyone shed any light to where exactly this is.

What I know so far:

Pte Jonathan Pearson, 7093, shot in the chest 18th September. Sent to Casualty Clearing Station No. 3 at Puchevillers then on 25th sent by ambulance train No.19 to 13th General Hospital, Boulogne. He died on 30th September and is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery.

What I don't know is where he was when he was shot - Theipval Wood Area?

Grateful for any information for a centenary visit.

Welcome to the forum. North Bluff was at grid reference Q.36.c.7.7 - i.e. around the Y-junction in the cutting at the centre of the map here. North Bluff was the area just to the left of Y-junction - the ground drops steeply down to the Ancre river at this point, hence the 'bluff'.

As for if he was shot there, it seems very unlikely as the Ancre valley was sheltered from all but artillery fire at that time. I would guess his battalion was further north, around the Thiepval Wood area as you suggest, or possibly further east around the Leipzig Salient - does the diary give any detail as to what the battalion was doing on that day?

- brummell

Edited by brummell

Thank you for replying Brummell and for the map ref.

The diary states "Battalion holding the front line" from 13th - 20th. They were relieved by 6th West Yorks on 20th. On the 15th it states that 2/Lt Rhodes took out a raiding party of 20 and reached parapet at Popes Nose. Owing to heavy rifle fire they did not make an entrance, 2/Lt Rhodes killed 1 wounded. He seems to have done these raiding parties for several days beforehand. It also states that Battalion hq was Belfast City.

Ah, right. The Pope's Nose was a small salient in the German front line north of Thiepval Wood, pretty much on what is now the site of the Ulster Tower memorial - that suggests to me that the battalion was indeed holding the line in Thiepval Wood.

Which is all excellent news for your centenary visit - it is very easy to get around, and the tour of the restored trenches in Thiepval Wood is well worth it.

- brummell

I don't know if it is of any significance but I have noticed what appear to be two trenches called East Koyli and West Koyli. East Koyli ran slightly to the east of and running almost parallel to the track to the left of the entrance to the Ulster Memorial which leads to St Pierre-Divion. (it appears to roughly bisect the memorial). West Koyli joins it at right angles from a westerly direction.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=50.0626&lon=2.6795&layers=101465248&right=BingHyb

Mc Master states that Belfast City was in square Q 30 d which would put it to the southern end of Thiepval Wood.

Thanks so much for this info - it's a great help and very interesting gathering all the information about Jonathan. I'm grateful to you. I believe that the East Koyli trench fits the descriptions so will start from there. I can't wait to go exploring as not been there before, only know the Ypres area. It will be very moving standing in the same spot 100 years on.

This trench map shows the respective "Koyli" trenches but does not name them. West and East Koyli intersect at approx 19. c. 1. 6. West Koyli is the thick blue line coming up from the south west and East Koyli is the dotted blue line going south to what is now the Ulster Tower.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=50.0617&lon=2.6778&layers=101465242&right=BingHyb

Will be in the area next month but looking more toward Maisie Lane (which is the NE continuation of West Koyli) and the track up from St Pierre-Divion up to the Schwaben Redoubt.

Regards.

Reg