Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of woman with RFA badge

tybaltstone

I have many unidentified photocards from my great-grandmother's postcard collection, and thought I'd share this one (to start with!). On the back it says 'Mrs Laura Walker' (handwritten) and 'Van Ralty Post Card', 'Studios Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham, Oldham, Bolton Ec. Ec.' (printed). I do have two other postcards with the name of Walker on (a mother and 3 daughters, and a young girl of 5 or 6), and there may be a Uttoxeter or Lichfield connection, as that is where my g-grandparents were raised and lived.

Anyway, my question concerns the badge she is wearing.

RFAbadge.jpg

Is RFA 'Royal Field Artillery'? Does the rifle signify anything? Would she be wearing it for herself, or as some token of her husband's (I presume) service?

Here is the entire card:

WALKERLaura_RFA.jpg

Thanks for looking.

- Garen.

It looks like a Commercially available "Sweetheart" Brooch,usually made in Silver & Gold,& Purchased by her Beau as a Going Away Present,These came in a variety of designs,some representing Regimental Badges,Others such as this one in the Form of a Rifle with the Regiments Name/Initials on,Others had the Arms of Various French & Belgian Cities On,They do make a wonderful Collection,& its nice to see one being Worn contemporarily!

Ah! Very romantic! Do you think he'd have been in the Royal Field Artillery? Just wondering if I should point my nose in the direction of Walkers in those units, as i presume RFA had no other meaning.

Thanks for the reply.

A good avenue to follow,but remember it could also relate to Brothers or Cousins,etc who gave "Sis" or "Cousin" a present to Remember them by

Quite true. I suppose I'm just looking for a way in to have a stab at some of the unidentified postcards my g-grandmother had, but even just the possibilities you have suggested add a little colour to the story of this photo. My thanks again.

I have a silver spoon bought at auction several years ago which seems to be "from the same stable". The stem of the spoon is made from a small silver rifle (about the same size as the brooch) with a bowl at one end and a shield on which is embossed "38th H.B. R.C.)". Can anyone tell me if the rifle is a true representation of a particular make of rifle and from which period?

post-38-1101811734.jpg

It does look like an "Artists Impression" of the SMLE 303,though not strictly accurate,the hallmarks if any could date it,more accurately,38th HB RC=Possibly 38th Heavy Battery Rifle Club~ A Nice Item.