Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R. Money Barnes

Uncle George

I have posted before on the Forum about the historian R. Money Barnes. Pals may be familiar with his 'The British Army of 1914' (1968).

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233876

A couple of us on this Forum have been puzzled by the paucity of biographical information about him online. We have contributed to his 'Lives of the First World War' page, and I have set myself the task of expanding upon this. Perhaps it will become possible to create a Wikipedia page, or similar.

To this end I have been trying to find a photograph of him (which has proved surprisingly difficult). I wonder if anyone can help with this.

Barnes became a Temporary Second Lieutenant on 7 December 1914 with the 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, served in France from 2 December 1915, was attached to the 2/21st Punjabis, and took part in the Waziristan Campaign of 1919-20. He served in Italy during the Second war.

With many thanks.

post-108430-0-87512600-1460558556_thumb.

Dear Uncle,

I was not aware of your earlier post. I too have tried hunting down information on Barnes from time to time - with even less success than you.

Best regards

Your nephew David

Does the Rifles Museum in Winchester have nothing? They (I assume) have the archives of the 43rd and 52nd (1st and 2nd OBLI).

Thank you David and Steven for your replies and for this suggestion.

I have this morning contacted the Royal Green Jackets (Rifles) Museum in Winchester. I'll let you know the outcome.

If you don't get a reply, let me know and I'll make enquiries. Toby Brayley and Horsepower Museum are at Peninsula Barracks with the Rifles so he can toddle across the car park. Do him good.

If you don't get a reply, let me know and I'll make enquiries. Toby Brayley and Horsepower Museum are at Peninsula Barracks with the Rifles so he can toddle across the car park. Do him good.

Thanks. The Rifles Museum has replied thus: "Although we do display some of the items of the 43rd and 52nd and Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry the archival material for this former regiment of The Royal Green Jackets is held at The Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum at Woodstock, Oxfordshire. They may be able to help you." So I've got onto them. I'll keep you posted.

Again, many thanks.

Ah. Didn't know that. Good luck.

• 7 months later...

In February 1918 Barnes found himself stationed in Rawalpindi with the 1st Battalion, 21st Punjabis. His Commanding Officer's remarks:

"Behind a shy stolid manner and appearance conceals initiative in unexpected forms, apparently a faculty in picking up a language, and reliability. Gets on well with the Indian ranks, and with more experience should do well." 

A further Review report in January 1919 saw him seemingly damned with faint praise:

"I am of the opinion that this officer has the makings of a good officer."

• 3 weeks later...

The attached is part of a letter from the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow. I think I'm right in saying that, by telling me that Barnes served with "52nd Lt Infty", the APC is telling me that he served with the 2nd Battalion OBLI. 

If anyone can confirm this I'd be very grateful.

image.jpg

52nd Light Infantry and 2nd O&BLI are the same thing. The Oxfordshire LI was an amalgamation of the two original Light Bobs, the 43rd and the 52nd, and the regiment continued to prefer '43rd' and '52nd' rather than 1st and 2nd battalions. The 'Buckinghamshire' was added round the turn of the 20th Century.

53 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

52nd Light Infantry and 2nd O&BLI are the same thing. The Oxfordshire LI was an amalgamation of the two original Light Bobs, the 43rd and the 52nd, and the regiment continued to prefer '43rd' and '52nd' rather than 1st and 2nd battalions. The 'Buckinghamshire' was added round the turn of the 20th Century.

Thanks.