Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lys Battlefield

Laurent

Last photos of Laurier Farm, Vert Bois Farm and strong point south of Nieppe Forrest (West of Merville) Lys battlefield 1918.

Photographs taken during a little trip to Lys battlefield close to "Vert Bois Farm" (1918) with Mark Law (adherent of this forum) and his family. His grandfather was killed in April 1918 at the time of the attack of the farm.

Regards. Laurent.

Vert Bois Farm

post-4-1101662048.jpg

Rue du Laurier in 2004 (the road to Laurier farm and Nieppe Forrest) . End line of german troops in 1918.

You could find this road on the air photograph (preceding message) this road was the target of the artillery shootings in spring 1918, note the many impacts of shell.

post-4-1101663028.jpg

Have just got back from France.

I would just like to publicly thank Laurent for spending the time with me on Saturday. He acted both as guide and translator and helped me on my quest to piece together some family history.

If there is a vote for the most helpful member of this forum mine goes to Laurent.

Thanks again

Mark,

when exactly was your Granddad killed?

My Grandfathers IR 49 took position between Les Lauriers and roughly Vert Bois on April 22nd. They rotated with IR 93 and 72.

25 April: Brits attack left wing at Vert Bois and forced 6./49 to fall back

26 April: I. and II./49 loose forward line. III./49 with support of one Btl of IR 14 counterattacked and regained all lost ground to include parts of Vert Bois.

27 April: A raid against Vert Bois (Codeword "Helene") with parts of Granddads IR 49 in combination with IR 140 was succesful. Also a raid against a farm 200m southeast of Les Lauriers was succesful. Commander of raid "Helene" against Vert Bois was Lt. d.R. Freyer

28 April: IR 49 was shifted towards the right sector roughly in front of Les Lauriers

Granddad was at that time in 4.Kompanie, I.Battalion/IR49 and I suppose he somehow "met" your Granddad in the fields around Vert Bois -both are reading our stories from above with a smile now serving together in the Grand Army up there (Granddad was killed near Les Lauriers 1 May 1918)

Egbert,

Sadly my Great Grandfather was killed shortly before your Grandfather got there.

On 14th April,1918.

When we visited the farm recently the farmer explained to us that it had been his parents who lived there in 1918. By the end of the war there was very little of the farm left (or indeed any other buildings in the area)

It was clearly a strategic target that was often fought over.

In the action that my Great Grandfather was killed in on 14/04/18 the British actually took the farm (with heavy losses) but later had to withdraw due to heavy German attacks.

You may want to look at the following link which details the actions from a German point of view.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~elbro4/Redirect_FAR...tskalender.html

Mark

Thank you for the information. I tried the hyperlink but it returned an error suggesting that the target page does not exist any more.

Robert