Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

anthony

I,m currently researching the war service of my Great-Uncle, L-Cpl Edward Motteram of the 4th Battalion Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, of Barrow in Furness. I managed to get hold of his records from the PRO and I wondered if any of you could help me out with a couple of things.

In 1916, he was "granted 2nd class proficiency pay for..." and then the writing fades away! Does anyone have any idea what this might mean?

I know that he was the Batman of a Captain W.G. Pearson, but Pearson was captured at Festubert and after that I have no information on where he was taken- has anyone come across him in their research? Pearson was in "B" company and my great-uncle was I believe in "C" company. I'm not sure how that would work out but they are the facts as I understand them.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony

Suggest you have a try at the regimental museum at Lancaster (best by email). The curator/archivist guy there is very knowledgable particularly about officers. I was in touch with them a few weeks ago trying to find where one of my researchees ws when he was killed and the guy took the trouble to delve a little and found he was actually serving with another regiment at the time (not recorded by CWGC). I was well impressed.

John

B)

Thanks John- unfortunately I'm still no nearer to finding out more. I believe he ended his days as a solicitor in Barrow in Furness, but the museum was unable to find out what happened to him between 1915-18.

Cheers,

Anthony <_<