Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Bayonet.

Trev2386

A friend has just bought the below item and asked me about it. I have no idea!!

I think it's American. There are no markings. He was told its in such good condition that it probably wasn't issued and dates about 1913ish.

Any help, as always, will be gratefully received.

Trev

post-115486-0-66826700-1459972437_thumb.

post-115486-0-21086000-1459972477_thumb.

post-115486-0-29633100-1459972494_thumb.

Not American.

Mauser style. Usually looking like this they are Yugoslavian, but unmarked may be other make.

VERY not WWI.

Certainly looks like a yugo M1924 or long belgian export type bayonet to me.

Any markings anywhere on bayonet or frog?

I have never looked at or into these, but long bayonets for 'maximum reach' as late as the 1920's? What were they thinking of!

Trajan

Major,

There's nothing at all on the bayonet or the frog. It does seem to have some form of built in sharpener just inside the frog if that helps?

Trev

Agreed.

Any chance of some pics of this built in sharpener Trevor? Probably just spring to hold bayonet firmly in the scabbard.

Sometimes on yugo bayonets there are faintly marked W type symbols on the crossguard,

Aleck

Any chance of some pics of this built in sharpener Trevor? Probably just spring to hold bayonet firmly in the scabbard.

Sometimes on yugo bayonets there are faintly marked W type symbols on the crossguard,

Aleck

Aleck,

I'll get back to him and ask him if I can have a proper look and get the info,

Trev

All,

I've managed to get my hands on this and had a good look. There are no markings on any part of the bayonet, scabbard or frog.

The, so-called, self sharpeners are two flat, leaf type springs, which I presume are retaining springs.

I've attached a couple more photo's of both sides of the handle, which may, or may not, add to its identity.

Trev.

post-115486-0-87538100-1460132639_thumb.

post-115486-0-85843800-1460132654_thumb.

... I've managed to get my hands on this and had a good look. .... The, so-called, self sharpeners are two flat, leaf type springs, which I presume are retaining springs. ...

Good to have this one up for discussion as this way we all learn something new, so thanks Trev!

I am certain Aleck (Sawdoc) will come back with a more positive ID as among GWF members he has certainly much wider knowledge on pre- and post GW bayonets than most, but while the basic configuration says 'Mauser'! the slotted press-stud says - to me - 'Post WW1'. It will nice nice to know what it is! Oh, and yes, those are scabbard retaining springs in the mouth of the scabbard.

Trajan

I'm with Sawdoc on this, if it's a Belgian FN 1924, the overall length will be 514mm, and the blade length 384mm.

Mike.

I'm with Sawdoc on this, if it's a Belgian FN 1924, the overall length will be 514mm, and the blade length 384mm.

Mike.

Mike,

The overall length is, near as dammit, 21.5 inches, which drops, more or less, with your measurements.

Trev

Trev,

looks like you have a belgian long export bayonet there mate, many thanks to all of the other members in confirming it's identity, loads of knowledgeable members on this forum that can help others with non WW1 bayonets,Just goes to show that we can help out post WW1 collectors as well, well done chaps you are a credit to the forum☺☺☺☺

Aleck & all members☺