Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bunkers in Polygon Wood 1918?

bkristof

I noticed that the 2 little bunkers at Polygone wood are not on the trench maps of 1917 (the ones i know).

Are they 1918? Does anyone has maps where they are marked on?

thanks for any info,

kristof

post-4-1101650278.jpg

Yes that is one!!

There should be more information in the History of the New Zealand Engineers but I won't access to this until I get back from travelling.

Robert

Kristof, as has been stated by Mat, these bunkers are New Zealand.

They were constructed in February '18 by 4th Field Company, New Zealand Engineers. They refer to them as "Diggers Rest" although it is not clear whether this refers to the bunkers or the general location. They refer to them as "English Pattern shelters to accommodate 4 men"

They built some others outside the wood but I could'nt find these, they also built one near Scott's Post, the German bunker in the centre of the wood, but could'nt find this either.

Hope this helps, Peter.

Can you give some details on the location of the others, i also looked for them, never found them... I like to search them. ;)

..."English Pattern shelters to accommodate 4 men"

I'm trying to imagine how cosy it would have been to squash into one of these with three other blokes. Having said that, I reckon once the shells started falling, you'd all squeeze in without a second thought!

Kristof, do you mean you want the locations of the other 4 (all German) which are still in the wood? or the map references from the New Zealand records? I will attach map of existing, if you want more, let me know, Peter.

Kristof, do you mean you want the locations of the other 4 (all German) which are still in the wood? or the map references from the New Zealand records? I will attach map of existing, if you want more, let me know, Peter.

The German ones (the othere ones in the wood)

AND i look to look for these too:

quote:

They built some others outside the wood but I could'nt find these, they also built one near Scott's Post, the German bunker in the centre of the wood, but could'nt find this either.

Thanks,

kristof

Mat that is great!!!

The biggest problem with Polygon wood is that in the post war period they also used it as ammo disposal and destruction site.

So a lot of original trenches are destroyed.

I was told a few bunkers were also blown up in the 1920's.

Mat, just looked at your walking tour of Polygon Wood, and thought what a good guide it is, well done.

One thing of note regarding damage to the pill boxes in the wood....it is apparent that much of the damage is from explosions inside rather than outside, this can be seen at Scott Post and is especially evident at the 2 marked no. 3 on your map. This internal damage is, I believe, the result of post-was explosive clearing.

I will commend the walking tour to anyone who enquires, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice words Peter. I assumed that the damage to the pillboxes was caused by post-war clearing work but it had not been confirmed to me until now. Thanks.

Mat