Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a pre-WWI Rifle Range

mbriscoe

A few years ago I looked at a local rifle range. It is marked on the 2nd Edition OS Map so early 1900s. I thought it might be a later range (perhaps WWII) built on the same site but I was just checking the NGRs on the 2nd Edition OS maps and the target is virtually at the same location (as close as I can estimate), the OS map seems to show two targets side by side. There are then firing points every 100 yards from 200 yds to 800 yds. I wonder if anyone confirm whether this structure is consistent with one from the pre-WWI period (or WWI).

Cow Hill Rifle Range

The British range design never changed much. Around Sydney Australia (basically British standard design) the Malabar and Hornsby rifle butts are very similar - thee were both built prior to WW1. The old Linfield range was also nearly identical - as far as I could find out, that range was built during WW2 and closed just after that war. The strange thing about that range is digging in the buts only found Mk VI projectiles. The butts at most of the army ranges around Australia all appear to be near identical although most date back to WW1 or earlier

In the 1960s some new ranges started to be built but these were of very different design - using automated targets and without stop butts.

Cheers

RT

The British range design never changed much. Around Sydney Australia (basically British standard design) the Malabar and Hornsby rifle butts are very similar - thee were both built prior to WW1. The old Linfield range was also nearly identical - as far as I could find out, that range was built during WW2 and closed just after that war. The strange thing about that range is digging in the buts only found Mk VI projectiles. The butts at most of the army ranges around Australia all appear to be near identical although most date back to WW1 or earlier

In the 1960s some new ranges started to be built but these were of very different design - using automated targets and without stop butts.

Cheers

RT

Thanks, the only one I have seen close-up is this one near Mallaig that was almost certainly built for use by SOE during WWII. The local one is probably from the days of the local Volunteers at the end of the 19th Century.

The military do like things to be standard though we have found around the Highlands and Islands that there were variations probably because of jobs being contracted out to local builders and them using local materials as well as being a long way from London.

The shelter seems very shallow in depth (front to back of the space between the columns and the front wall) for a classification range, not much space to move around, operate the mechanisms or identify fall of shot. Is there evidence of a concrete trench just out of the trenches for classification target mechanism frames? I can only see five bays, does that match the number of spots/ the general width of the shooters mounds? I would suggest the concrete/cinder blocks used to make the columns would date it fairly well for you, were they common in that area pre-WW1?

Cheers,

Hendo

strange thing about that range is digging in the buts only found Mk VI projectiles. The butts at most of the army ranges around Australia all appear to be near identical although most date back to WW1 or earlier[/sub]

For what it's worth, I'd comment that the Mk.VII bullet strikes on steel plate I saw at Rainham ranges in the 1960s were deeper than the couple shown in the OP's photos, and still had the remains of bullet embedded in them. There are a lot of other factors that could be at work of course, but at face value those in the pics look like they were made by something with a little less poke than Mk.VII.

The shelter seems very shallow in depth (front to back of the space between the columns and the front wall) for a classification range, not much space to move around, operate the mechanisms or identify fall of shot. Is there evidence of a concrete trench just out of the trenches for classification target mechanism frames? I can only see five bays, does that match the number of spots/ the general width of the shooters mounds? I would suggest the concrete/cinder blocks used to make the columns would date it fairly well for you, were they common in that area pre-WW1?

Cheers,

Hendo

I don't remember any evidence of a concrete trench near the target. It's on the slop of a hill, I am going to have another walk across when we get a warmer, dry day. I have tried to estimate the positions of the firing points more accurately than when I was last there. I think I saw a slight hollow where one could have been but will have another look.

I was going to show the map but can't paste images or insert image files.

The trench and mechanism would be a similar arrangement to the second site you linked with the two lane butt, trench and mechanisms. The trench has to be deep enough to hold a target frame below the top of the butt before it is raised for timed exposures for snap shooting serials. Or in the case of other serials, to have one target exposed and the other being scored and patched out whilst the raised one is being shot at.

Are the pillars made from cast concrete blocks, I would have thought brick for pre a WW1 range, but I am ready to be told otherwise.

The steel plate also looks to be earlier, possibly even Enfield musket period, as the scoring then was by marking the lead splash on the iron plate.

The size seems to be about right, if so not a very common item still in situ.

I got back over to the target site today and took a few more pictures which are on FLICKR with the others.

The concrete of the main structure looks quite good quality which usually suggests WWI or earlier rather than WWII when they often threw quickly using low quality materials.

The roof supports are blocks and quite rough, perhaps made of concrete on site? They are 16½" x 16½" and are 6" high.

The earth bank on the South West side could be from when the path was built - otherwise why have a steel plate on that side of the structure?

I was going to have a look for the firing points but the gorse is quite thick so it would be difficult to move and would not see anything anyway. I went near where the 800yd one was, it is on top of a small hillock which seems a reasonable place but no sign of anything.

Target NN 10774 73409
200yd NN 10629 73334
300yd NN 10561 73294
400yd NN 10483 73253
500yd NN 10398 73229
600yd NN 10313 73164
700yd NN 10228 73125
800yd NN 10128 73066
All firing points estimated

The old style firing points were just a cleared mound to give an unobstructed view through to the targets. I would be very surprised if you found anything there in the form of abandoned construction materials. If lucky you may find some spent brass or charger clips but that would be unlikely.

Cheers

RT

The old style firing points were just a cleared mound to give an unobstructed view through to the targets. I would be very surprised if you found anything there in the form of abandoned construction materials. If lucky you may find some spent brass or charger clips but that would be unlikely.

Cheers

RT

I did not expect anything to survive of the firing points but it would have been nice to take a picture from each but too overgrown. It's not too bad around the furthest ones so might go back on a sunny day - also can drive to nearer them!

I got back over to the target site today and took a few more pictures which are on FLICKR with the others.

The concrete of the main structure looks quite good quality which usually suggests WWI or earlier rather than WWII when they often threw quickly using low quality materials.

The roof supports are blocks and quite rough, perhaps made of concrete on site? They are 16½" x 16½" and are 6" high.

The earth bank on the South West side could be from when the path was built - otherwise why have a steel plate on that side of the structure?

I was going to have a look for the firing points but the gorse is quite thick so it would be difficult to move and would not see anything anyway. I went near where the 800yd one was, it is on top of a small hillock which seems a reasonable place but no sign of anything.

Target NN 10774 73409

200yd NN 10629 73334

300yd NN 10561 73294

400yd NN 10483 73253

500yd NN 10398 73229

600yd NN 10313 73164

700yd NN 10228 73125

800yd NN 10128 73066

All firing points estimated

I assume you already know about the NLS map site? The relevant 1899 25 inch sheet (published 1901) shows the range with the targets and firing points all marked.

No sign of the range in any of the maps from the 1870's.

So range was definitely in existence in 1899.

The NLS site also allows you to compare historic maps with modern date side by side

Mark

Some info from Ray Westlake's Tracing the Rifle Volunteers on the Fort William rifle volunteers - it might give you some leads into documentation for the range. I think the records of the RVC are held in the Lochaber Record Office ...

post-20192-0-78442200-1460333955_thumb.j

Grierson in his Records of the Scottish Volunteer Force 1859-1908 (published 1909) states the 1st (Inverness Highland) VB, QOCH (eventually 4/QOCH), had eight separate rifle ranges, so a good chance the Cow Hill range was one of these.

The structures may be later than the original range of course.

I found a reference to Cameron of Locheil giving some land for use as range in about 1860 (I think). But I wonder if this could fit with this site and possible date?

Aberdeen Journal - Wednesday 30 January 1901

Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

SCOTTISH VOLUNTEERS AND RIFLE RANGE GRANTS.

NORTHERN CORPS' ALLOTMENTS.

"With the approval the Secretary of State for War, there is now by War authorities supplementary list grants behalf rifle ranges, and -which will made payable to those corps Great Britain who voluntarily undertook the heavy expenditure entailed adjusting their rifle ranges to meet the increased danger at practice arising from the introduction the Lee-Metford rifle to the auxiliary forces. The present issue is therefore compensation of a retrospective character, and is distinctly apart from the general grants made corps last year in aid the construction ranges, etc.. The total value of the retrospective grants is £36,092. Of the £8154 which comes to this side the Border, less than £2125 is allotted to corps and north the Tay, as will be gathered from the appended statement showing the corps included the retrospective issue and the amounts paid behalf improvements effected their several ranges:

1st V.B. Cameron Highlanders - Inverness - Longman, Fort-William, Beauly, and Portree receive a lump sum of £45

The above allotments are only of one-half the value of the amounts submitted by officers commanding corps. Every northern corps shares more or less, singularly enough, in the division — a piece of fortune which has not attended all Scottish corps.

I found newspaper reports on a range at Cow Hill in the 1880s so had a look at the file in the archive.

These are notes on the first mention

Lochaber Archive
GB318/L/D6/4/38

Notes

19th October 1874

26th Inst.

Proposed practice ground of 2nd Inverness Rifle Volunteers.

Property of Mr Donald Cameron of Locheil.

900 yards in extent.

About a mile from Fort William

Clear of public roads

Ground rises 800 feet. a few yards behind the target. Only butts will be required for the marker, VideMusketry Regulations Part 9 Paragraph 14 and one about 20 foot high behind the target as a protection to cattle that might by chance stray near the line of fire.

William Donaldson Captain Adjutant Highland Light Infantry Militia.

That sounds very like the site on the side of Cow Hill though presume before the concrete structure was erected.

Inspection report follows.

Also

Lochaber Archive
GB318/L/D6/4/38

From
Captain Knight
Adjutant Highd Lt Infty Militia
Inverness

To
Officer Commanding
55th Sub District
Fort George

Sir

Pursuant to Horse Guards order dated 30th March 1881 I proceeded to Fort William to inspect the proposed Rifle Range and have the honor to report

1stRange – One Section Range.

2ndExtent of Range – 800 yards

3rdButts – A stop butt should be erected in rear of target 20 feet long by 20 feet high.

Also a butt or platform at 700 yards range 6 feet high : length sufficient for two men to fire at the same time.

Markers Butt is for disc marking (without dummy targets) and is therefore placed in a line and closed to the target fired at, the inner side of it next to the target is only made of wood. I consider it ought to be of iron and the slit for the disc covered with Leather or something to protect the markers from the splinters off the target. The markers butt also requires a new roof with two feet of turf on the top.

4th – Two large Flag staffs (Permanent. Also danger flag when shooting over 600 yards should be placed as shown in sketch of rang.

5th – The ground behind the target is flat and thoroughly commanded from certain points of view to the foot of Bennevis which rises at an angle of 60 Degrees.

6th – I beg to enclose written consents of the owners and occupiers of the Land on which the range is situated and of the Land in rear of the Butts also a sketch of the proposed range.

I have the honor to be

Sir

Your Obedient Servt

(signed) H Knight Capt & Adjt

Highd L. I. Militia

Inverness

19th April 1881

V
1 Inverness

Horse Guards
War Office
27th April 1881

G.O.C. North Britain

The Secretary of State for War approves of the use of this range near Fort William by the Volunteers, as a one section range upto 800 yards, subject to the precautions mentioned in the in the inspecting officer’s report.

(signed) G A Turse
D.A.Q.M.G.
for Q.M.G.

Good result!

The record ends in 1881 when admin was transferred to Inverness.

There are a few pages with the announcement of the 1881 changes and detailed descriptions of the changes in uniforms - all these are handwritten copies into a ledger, it also includes the originals of annual stocktaking of weapons and ammunition, annual inspections, newspaper cuttings, lists of names and various odds and ends like a few permits for people to keep their rifle at home.

None of the sketches mentioned were included, presumably they got sent away.

I think the inspecting officer could be forgiven for saying the slopes of Ben Nevis are immediately behind the target butts.

As you know, it's really Cow Hill and the bottom end of Glen Nevis intervenes between the range and the slopes of Meall an t'Suidhe.

Also I'd be very surprised if those are 60 degree slopes!

Everything else fits though, so I agree with you that the report describes the Cow Hill range.

It might be worth contacting Fort George to see if they have the sketches and plans?

• 1 year later...

As well as this range at Cow Hill, there appears to have been another range down in the Inverlochy/An Aird area.  The butts were on An Aird with the firing positions on the banks of the River Lochy.

It appears on the 1870's OS map.

See details on the Highland Historic Environmental Record site here

For ref, the HER record for the Cow Hill butts is here

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

I think I remember a mention of there being an earlier range there.  Of course the whole of the area has changed dramatically with the river being moved as well as all the later developments.

The Volunteers (or whatever they were called at the time) used the old fort until the 1860s I think when they moved into the Drill Hall behind the present day museum - no coincidence that the nearby pub is called the Volunteer !

My set of pictures on Cow Hill on FLICKR linked here.