Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cuban Victory Medal Suspension

Guest Gilda

:lol:

I just aquired a Cuban Victory medal which checks out in all areas. except one. The suspension as shown in Laslo is a "Ball" suspension. The suspension on my medal is soldered or brazed and looks like a triange folded over the suspension ring. Is it a repair, or a variation or something else?

A couple of "Experts" swear to the medals authenticity and it meets all requirements to a "T".

Thanks in advance ,

Martin

post-23-1101598313.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I hope the ball suspension is clear. Might I ask how much you paid for this medal?

If this is authentic, there should be a triangular chobillon hallmark on the rim of the planchet and the word 'bronze'.

I would not want to 'knock' your experts, but if you want a definitive answer take it to DNW for an appraisal.

Ian

In addition:

It does have the" Chobillon Hallmark" and" Bronze" exactly as pictured by Laslo,

as well as the necessary "O"on the reverse.

What a delight to be able to have this kind of feedback.

Regards,

Martin Kaufman

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Martin,

I am judging that you are in the USA so a trip to DNW is a bit impractical as they are in London!

What you have for US$187 is IMHO reasonable - in this country Cuban Vics retail at around the £350 mark - I will leave the conversion to you!

I hope you are able to get this resolved.

Ian

:rolleyes:

Ian:

Thank you.

I am not sure it is worth the effort to try to replace the part.

It is fine specimen and with the difficulty of actually completing a

collection, I may ponder the problem until I can find the right craftsman.

Here, we say, anybody with a hammer thinks they are a contractor! and so it is with jewelers.

Regards,

Martin

Call me stupid but...

What was the role of Cuba in WW1???

Call me stupid but...

What was the role of Cuba in WW1???

Kristof,

Cuba wanted to show solidarity with the USA, who declared war a day earlier (6 April 1917).

I don't think they featured in much (if any) fighting; a bit like Mexico, who declared war on Japan in WW2 and only sent a token squadron of pilots and mechanics to fly US aircraft with the USAAF in the Pacific.

Richard

see pages 21-22 Laslo- Interallied Victory Medals!

In sum, not much- It was a failed attempt to help because the Armistice was declared.

Should they have been able to help it would have been a token effort in order show support for the allies.

Good question!

Martin

conclusion: just politics...

I think I am right in saying that their declaration of war also got them a seat at the peace treaty negotiations - and therefore a share (albeit small) of any reparations and other 'goodies' on offer.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
conclusion: just politics...

A bit harsh but technically correct!

The US and Cuba were bound by a mutual defence treaty signed in 1903. As the policy of unrestricted warfare took hold Cuba severed relations with Germany and as has been said, declared war on Germany a day after the US.

No Cuban military or medical personnel were sent to the European theatre and her her Navy, which consisted of one cruiser, one school ship and 18 cutters, were confined to her own coastal waters