Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest Soldier ?

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

:o

Whilst browsing at the National Newspaper Library,i came across an article in a September 1916 issue of the Daily Mirror,which contained the the Headline FOUGHT ON THE SOMME AGED 12...The Soldier in Question was a Private Lewis from the East Surreys..the photo indeed showed a very young boy,dressed in uniform seated on a crate,if any one else has any more info on this boy it would be very interesting to piece together his remarkable story.

I can believe 14 yr olds fought, because their advance physical development fooled (or did not) the recruiting staff, but a 12 year old...?

Sorry, I doubt it.

Could have been posed back home.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

There was an article about this lad in the South London Press in September 1916. As he had enlisted illegally, he was not eligble for a pension when he was discharged for a second time as a result of wounds. This was particularly hard on his family as he had been the major breadwinner, his father having died several years before the war. His wages supported both his mother and 2? younger sisters I believe.

I suggest you checl out the South London Press for more details and the thread I posted about this lad some time ago.

Ian

How did his comrades react???

If i should be in the trench and see such a young boy entered the hell of war. I surely reported it asap to my srgt or officer... To ask to give him a "safe" job.

Or did he do a safer job???