Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Plaque with no batch marking

Derek Robertson

Are there any comments regarding this "unique" death plaque which apparently carries no identifying batch mark. The rear carries the Woolich Arsenal stamp.

The plaque was in memory of a Northumberland Fusilier who died on the 20th November 1917 and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

plaque.jpg

Quite a few of the early production plaques from Acton have no number.

When production switched to Woolwich, I have seen a few plaques which suggest that the early plaques had no 'batch' number.

I have also seen some very late (mid 1920s onwards) production plaques without a number.

However, sand sometimes filled the 'number' when the plaques were being cast, so it 'appears' to have no number.

It's not unique, but it's also far from common.

Of the 2 plaques I have seen to the Chinese Labour Corps one carries the number 3 the other has no number at all.

You were obviously dreaming. There is no such thing as a Chinese Labour Corps plaque.....!!!!!! :ph34r:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

So what you are saying is that no man who served and was killed or died whilst serving with the Chinese Labour Corps had a Memorial Plaque - sorry mate it is you that is wrong.

The next of kin of all British officers and NCOs who served and died whilst serving with the Corps were certainly given plaques and scrolls.

Anyone who was at Watford the other week would have seen a Pair plus plaque to an NCO who died of wounds whilst serving with the Chinese Labour Corps brought in for appraisal. I have just done the research on him today at the PRO as Alie will testify. His plaque has no number on it at all.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Of the 2 plaques I have seen to the Chinese Labour Corps one carries the number 3 the other has no number at all.

You were obviously dreaming. There is no such thing as a Chinese Labour Corps plaque.....!!!!!! :ph34r:

Lets put a bet on this - a casulaty trio, plaque and scroll will do - are you up for it

Your man was attached to the CLC. The casualty is not, therefore, Chinese.

I stand by my tongue-in-cheek statement/challenge. But I'll clarify what I mean:

There is no such thing as a Chinese Labour Corps plaque (the type that some say has a casualty's number cast, instead of a name), made for a chap who was born and enlisted in China......!!!! :ph34r:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

What you are saying is that no Memorial Plaque exists to any man who was born and enlisted in China and served with the Chinese Labour Corps?

And if I can prove there is we have a casulaty trio, a plaque and scroll on it - an 8th Hampshires casualty trio, plaque and scroll on it.

As you know, Ian, quite a few people have told me about Chinese Labour Corps plaques (the type to Chinese Nationals, with a number on it instead of a name). But no one has yet been able to show me one.......

I have received one or two phone calls to say that someone knows a person who has got a CLC plaque. But when I've followed up the 'sighting,' it has turned out to be a plaque to a British soldier who is attached to the CLC.

I have been asking, as others have, for a long time, to see one.

Look at http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...4&hl=clc+plaque

I am not a betting man. But if I was a gambler, I'd probably feel as if I'd backed the outsider at the Grand National (and it won) if, like you, I had seen a CLC plaque. :)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

So what we are saying here is that as you have not seen one, they do not exist. This is not based on any AOs or quotable official source or file at the PRO, accessible by us - OK I am now in the picture.

To my knowledge there are at least 3 members of this Forum, reliable regulars for want of a better expression, who have seen one or know of people who have one in their possession. Perhaps they all have vivid imaginations? or perhaps they know a wider circle of collectors than this forum offers. Not every collector is willing or able to display their collections on the internet. Recent events have demonstrated the pitfalls as you well know.

Ian, I don't know if you are having a bad day - but read my comments above which, and I pointed out, were made "tongue in cheek."

Of course I believe that there were CLC plaques made with numbers. I also know of forum members, and other collectors, who have seen one (or more). But no one can (will, according to you??!!!!) tell me, today, who has one in their posession/collection.

If I had made a £1000 wager with you, Ian, would I then be allowed to see a CLC plaque.....??

If someone has got a CLC plaque, then please feel free to contact me (off forum is perfectly acceptable, if you don't want others to know).

I have just looked at the "REGULATIONS REGARDING ISSUE" It mentions special arrangements for the Dominions Colonies and India then specifcly the following:

India Office

Canada

Australia

South Africa

New Zealand

Newfoundland

Colonial Office

West African Frontier Force

Kings African Rifles

British West Indies Regiments

No mention nowhere of China, or Chinese Labour Corps

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian, I don't know if you are having a bad day - but read my comments above which, and I pointed out, were made "tongue in cheek."

Of course I believe that there were CLC plaques made with numbers. I also know of forum members, and other collectors, who have seen one (or more). But no one can (will, according to you??!!!!) tell me, today, who has one in their posession/collection.

If I had made a £1000 wager with you, Ian, would I then be allowed to see a CLC plaque.....??

If someone has got a CLC plaque, then please feel free to contact me (off forum is perfectly acceptable, if you don't want others to know).

I am not having a bad day at all and neither do I have a CLC plaque of the type to show you. I also note what Paul has written and don't know how to reconcile the 'eyewitness' accounts with this. Perhaps some of the 'owners' can be persuaded to post a picture or join the forum and give us some detail.