Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Technical Records of Explosives Supply - Ministry of Munitions

Dust Jacket Collector

post-35362-0-25073000-1458749043_thumb.j

I've just bought the above book published by the Ministry of Munitions in 1920 (more than anyone could wish to know about the Denitration of spent acids!). I think it's the first part of 9 such volumes. My question is were these volumes incorporated into the History of the Ministry of Munitions (not having a set to hand to consult) or maybe just parts of them were incorporated?. I know the 12 volumes of the History were made up of some 50 or so individual parts. Still hoping that the original set will come my way someday.

Alan,

Some of the volume are online at https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Great+Britain.+Munitions%2C+Ministry+of%22

The listing of the volumes are:

Industrial Mobilization 1914-1915 Vol. I. General Organization for Munitions Supply and General Administration Vol. II. Finance and Contracts Vol. III. Supply and Control of Labour 1915-1916 Vol. IV. Wages and Welfare Vol. V. Manpower and Dilution Vol. VI. Control of Materials Vol. VII. Control of Industrial Capacity and Equipment Vol. VIII. Review of Munitions Supply Vol. IX. Supply of Munitions Vol. X. Supply of Munitions Vol. XI. Supply of Munitions Vol. XII.

The individual parts come with an Title saying History of the Ministry of Munitions .

Thanks Martin, I'll check that out. I suspect that at best these Technical records mearly served as a source of information for the great history. The limitation line suggests there were 500 copies of each volume which I think is a lot more than were printed of the history.

Alan, 250 copies of the OH.

Thanks again Martin. I've checked the relavent volume and it seems the level of detail given in the Technical Report acts as a kind of supplement to the Official History. I fear that's as close as I'm going to get to the real thing.

Alan,

Some of the volume are online at https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Great+Britain.+Munitions%2C+Ministry+of%22

The listing of the volumes are:

Industrial Mobilization 1914-1915 Vol. I. General Organization for Munitions Supply and General Administration Vol. II. Finance and Contracts Vol. III. Supply and Control of Labour 1915-1916 Vol. IV. Wages and Welfare Vol. V. Manpower and Dilution Vol. VI. Control of Materials Vol. VII. Control of Industrial Capacity and Equipment Vol. VIII. Review of Munitions Supply Vol. IX. Supply of Munitions Vol. X. Supply of Munitions Vol. XI. Supply of Munitions Vol. XII.

The individual parts come with an Title saying History of the Ministry of Munitions .

In addition to the volumes on Archive.org (Volumes 1-8), Volumes 10 and 12 The Supply of Munitions, and additional restricted viewing editions are available on the Hathi Trust Digital Library.

Volume 10 consists of Guns, Gun Ammunition: General, Gun Ammunition: Shell Manufacture, Gun Ammunition: Explosives, Gun Ammunition: Filling and Completing, Anti-Aircraft Supplies.

Volume 12 consists of Aircraft, Aerial Bombs, Tanks, Mechanical Transport Vehicles, Railway Materials and Ropeways, Agricultural Machinery.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks a lot, Maureen. I'll take a look at those as well.

• spof changed the title to Technical Records of Explosives Supply - Ministry of Munitions