Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LCPL Sidney Thomas Wilson MM

Guest Daniel M

Hi,

I am looking for information regarding my Great Grandfather LCPL Sidney Thomas Wilson MM. S Wilson was a member of the 3rd Division of the Greandier Guards and I am trying to obtain information on him. I have searched through the Long,Long Trail and the Gazettes but cannot obtain anyinformation. So far I have got his registration forms and Medal Card. My Great Grandfathers Regimental number was 24491. Is there anyone out there who can help me.

Below is a short list of his information;

Name: Sidney Thomas Wilson

Corps: 3rd Division Grenadier Guards

Regimental Number: 24491

I shall try to obtain more information but to do this I require your aid. If you have anything about this man please post here or pm.

Thanks

Daniel M

Have You Tried ContactingThe Guards By Writing To Them Directly @ Birdcage Walk London,as an MM Winner you might be Lucky!

Daniel

Welcome to the Forum.

As mentioned in the previous thread, the Guards archives are extensive and they will, almost certainly, have your relative's full service file. They make a charge for doing the look-up, which is around £20, from memory. (or, with you mentioning that you have his registration forms, have you already done this?)

John

I have already contacted them and obtained the information. Im really looking for the Gazette he is in but I cannot find it after extensive searching. On the medal sheet it says the Gazette date is 12-6-18. But I cannot find it!

I have already contacted them and obtained the information. Im really looking for the Gazette he is in but I cannot find it after extensive searching. On the medal sheet it says the Gazette date is 12-6-18. But I cannot find it!

If you have the Gazette Date ,you are almost there,Online Gazette Type in Wilson{I doubt he's listed as his Full name} & its a fruitless exercise putting in too much information the Search engine cannot cope! & with an advanced search for your time Span[remember the Gazettes are Published A day or So Differently to the Date you have.}There will be no Citation,as MMs were not given that honour of a Published citation,save for a few examples @ the end of the War for North Russia,etc;just an entry which will list his name & Regimental details amongst the others.The Best place to look for details is in the local Papers of his Home Town @ the Time ,they loved a Hero!

London Gazette: 11th June 1918 Page 7016,included in that list: 24491 Pte{L/C} S.T.Wilson.G.Gds{Folkestone}

Search the Online Gazette by using the date selector,10/12 June 1918 & Wilson.

Comes up as Gazette No:30743 11th June 1918.

Could you possibly give me the URL of that page?

it would take a better Man than me theres too many 20% 20% following it to get it copied!If you follow my steps & have an Adobe reader it will take you about 3 Minutes!{Only 6 Gazettes come up for Wilson 11 June 1918 & if you select the number given you will find him!}If an Old F**t like me can sort him out ,A Youngster should have no problem!}Good Luck.AAA Gazettes Online...

NB: DONT SEARCH WW1; use Selective Date [below WW1 & WW2}section & restrict dates to 10th & 11th June 1918;Thats how I did it & Dont use his full name JUST:: WILSON :D