Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 3 Traffic Control Unit War Diary 1917

owen4256

I have identified the reference for No 3 Traffic Control Unit's War Diary for April - June 1917 at WO95/338/6. I would really like to find the Diary for the rest of 1917. Is it by any chance extant as part of another document or is this the only surviving record?

Any help much appreciated

Clive

Clive,

Can you elaborate on the role of this unit? Sounds interesting!

All the best,

Gary

Weren't these guys part of the Military Foot Police literally marshalling vehicle movements?

John

Gary

As John says, they were responsible for directing road traffic movements. They were comprised of Military Foot Police officers and NCOs supplemented by men from the Army Cyclist Corps. Pretty thankless job when the German artillery had registered on the road. I have seen references to No3 and No4 TCUs. No real idea of size but I have seen reference to 30-strong Cyclist Platoons being seconded to them so probably 60 plus at least.

Clive

We're just in the process of uploading a whole bynch of digitised war diaries to Discovery at the moment, so it may appear with those. Otherwise, it may not have kept it's own diary outside that period, you might need to check town major and provost diaries or similar to find info relating to it. The diary you have located may give clues as to where other info may be found.

David

Thanks for the heads up. I think they were under command of APMs so I will have a rummage there.

Best regards

Clive