Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester memorials

Guest David Redhead

Guest David Redhead

Hi There

Living in Hulme Manchester there seems to be a lack of memorials or maybe i am just blind. Could anyone please help me are there any if so were would they be.

Thank you

Dave

Dave

Dunno, mate. You could try the local council cemeteries department. Certainly in Stockport, they are the ones who maintain most of the memorials. I suspect that , if any existed originally, then they may well have been been "redeveloped" along with the rest of Hulme in the mid-60s.

John

David,

You could always enquire with the local branch of the Western Front Association. Also, any local Family History Sociaety is likely to have a list of memorials and men named thereon.

Ken

Ken

Try the National Inventory of War Memorials at the Imperial War Museum. I've always found them very helpful.

regards

Rob

Dave

try the local Royal British Legion Branch.

It is likely they place a wreath each year as we do at our local memorials.

Regards

Chris

Dave

Correction to my earlier post - it would seem that it's the City' Art Galleries Department that is the responsible body.

Came across a Council press release saying it was intending to survey the memorials for future renovation. It only mentions memorials in Northenden, Didsbury, Ardwick, Clayton & Collyhurst. I'm familiar with the first two - and I'm pretty sure there's one in Gorton.

John

Go to the local studies department of the reference library and ask for Stephen Lowe's List of War Memorials within the City of Manchester, revised edition 2001.