Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 TERRITORIAL BADGES

max7474

Hi Max

inital thoughts the Border badge looks crisp there is definate signs of wear on the finials (balls to you) on the ends of the Maltese cross and it looks okay.

Is the slider nice and thick and difficult to bend?

The Middlesex unfortunately just looks poor all round the slider looks flimsy the overall construction appears light weight and the front just lacks detail which does not appear to be over polishing just poor quality components.

Always hard to tell from a scan though.

Regards.

Thanks. Both sliders are very solid. The Middlesex one is mis-stamped and is a little untidy around the scrolls which is why I am suspect about it although it is generally quite solid.

Here's mine, obviously from a different die. See the flaw at the bottom left of the laurels. The tags on the reverse are also a different shape.

It too is quite flimsy looking compared to the regular and other versions I've got, however it would take a great deal of effort to bend it.

I'm happy with mine and think yours is OK looking at it, though as stated they can best be judged in hand. The more we talk about these and post examples, the more paranoid I get :unsure:

post-23-1101559611.jpg

Thanks for that. The badge you have does not have the flaws from stamping and the misformed letters in the title which is why I thought mine was a bit suspect. The only good news is that it did not cost me anything!

Max,

That was far from a thumbs down on your badge, at the time these were made Q.C. was not what it is now.

Here's a regular Middlesex given to me by my uncle in the 60s, he was RA but had a lot of badges and used to give them to me one at a time. A bit of a mess construction wise and the slider is J shaped brazed on the flat.

Check out the alignment of the scrolls and detail on the coronet.

It is a complex badge, the only others anywhere near that I can think of are the Yorks and Lancaster and the S. Lancashire. They all must have been a nightmare to manufacture and I suspect the 'not quite perfect' was let through.

post-23-1101562010.jpg

A very good point - I have a genuine South Lancashire where the crown is also a bit ropey to say the least and a couple where the die has not struck hard enough to fully void them in places where they should have a hole.

Of the Two Badges I prefer your Middlesex Regt,TF,to the Border Regt,The Middlesex Might just be A "Friday Afternoon" Badge,Poorly Finished,but the actual striking & especially the Laurel Wreath looks OK,admittedly it is Mistruck but this Happened,though usually they would have been scrapped if not up to standard,possibly in wartime,standards lapsed,The only thing I dont really like about it is the apparent width of the Slider,though that might just be the Photo.The Brazing is the right Colour though,as is the actual Badge Metals.

The Border Regiment TF;Badge however is Suffering from "Re~Strikeitis" that funny Browny Bluey tint to the Back & slider {which also has very sharp edges~ they are usually better finished by having the "edge" taken down},where a Chemical has been used to age the Badge,also there is the traditional Brasso deposits on the Back,but no age to them,no build up of Muck on the Reverse that you find if a Badge has been repeatedly Polished ,that is ingrained as opposed to just "there" as it appears on this badge,Of the two Badges I'd say that is the "Iffy " one,as I posted Yesterday on another Badge query post,It just doesn't "Look" Right,if I were a Betting man. ;)

Jury's out on this one, but I don't like the look of the Middlesex badge.

The Border one seems OK, even after HB's comments, but without handling them....

Here's a test. Having scrutinised the front and back, and bent the slider, just look at the edge of the badge. Is it perfectly flat?

The nicest numbers in my modest collection aren't flat; they are worn and distorted, because they're over half a century old and they've seen some action.

A flat badge stands half a chance of being a freshly stamped badge in my opinion.

Graeme