Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal cleaning

DCLI

I don't want to start a great debate on medal cleaning as I have started a couple in the not too distant past.

However, I thought I would show you a DCLI trio I just bought and had re-ribboned (original) and brooch mounted (original) and cleaned (dipped, not scrubbed).

For the life of me I can't see why anyone would think I have committed a monstrous act. Anyway each to his/her own.

Just thought you might like to have a look.

I think they look tremendous.

Regards to all

post-23-1101550604.jpg

Very nice results

All The Best

Chris

I agree, nice job.

With them mounted like that though, you run the risk of the star damaging the BWM.

Cheers.

John.

Yes, very nice.

When you say dipped, what exactly were they dipped in?

Cheers,

Rich.

They tend remain flat in a lined draw so the damage is going to be minimal. I hope. When I say dipped, I mean someone else dipped them (ie a professional medal mounter - for want of a better phrase). I have asked them what they use and I will report back.

sorry I have to disagree, I think the medals in the first scan look better. I am not going to get in a debate as DCLI says but you would not clean a 100 year old peice of furniture to look like a new peice.

True, but I would clean a 100-year-old car to look like new. Anyway each to their own.

Re cleaning. I am told, "We actually use a bath which uses ultra sonic to 'loosen' the grime and then gently clean the medals after".

I recently bought a tattyish trio RE with faded ribbins, and uncleaned medals but I am going to keep them that way.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I would suspect there`s something in the bath that has dissolved off the patina. Ultrasonics wouldn`t remove that. Thanks for showing us, anyway! Phil B

The excellent photos have finally convinced me what to do with my Grandfather's medals when they are passed down to me from my mother.

Gentle clean to remove the debris of ages and no more. To me they don't look "right" when they are so bright and shiny although I must confess that they do look stunning.

Nigel