Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 or WW2 sailor HMS Dunedin

alastaircox

A photograph/postcard of a young sailor sporting a navy tally from HMS Dunedin. Are there any clues as to period?

Many thanks, Alastair

post-98976-0-29605100-1458063489_thumb.j

HMS Dunedin launched 19 November 1918 and commissioned 13 September 1919, so post-Great War altogether, strictly speaking.

Dark covers to the caps were still rig into the 1950s so that's no help I'm afraid. I would have expected the bow to be more round the side; perhaps its position is some kind of index to the date?

So, 1919-1939 ... Is the photograph original? Any photographer's signature or address?

(I suppose if you knew the name of the subject you would already have told us ... ).

no if on service in ships they wore HMS, my great uncle when he married my aunt in 1942 wore an HMS Hood cap tally for the wedding picture, it was a year after Hood Sunk but we can date it as he didn't get his Leading Signaller badge until 1942 and he is wearing that and the hood tally, and as he was one of the 3 survivors I guess he was allowed to wear it.

I have also seen portraits from WW2 of sailors wearing ships names. it also looks like my own grandfathers naval photo from ww2 but as the uniform never changed I guess it will be unknown.

Thank you all for your assistance. I shall file it away as non-WW1...

Interesting as I live in Dunedin NZ

The ship was transferred to the RNZN in 1925, which MAY narrow it down even further. I was investigating the passage of use of the black vest under the uniform as it may have given a narrower date band, there may have been a link to the glorious day when the blue-edged white vest became de rigeur. Still seeing black in 1939 though, admitting that the photos were of Stokers and that maybe they weren't expected to wear white !

Only ship of the Danae Class to have a NZ name, there was a DELHI as well.

I think the black vest/guernsey may have gone at the same time as the black cap, but don't quote me.

Coincidently, and for Ernesto's benefit, I also picked up this on the same day in a different place.

MV Port Dunedin (merchant navy)

post-98976-0-51567900-1458138119_thumb.j