Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little fun - Do you know what it is?

calibre792x57.y

Found in a box of junk. . - SW

Another view. The cartridge case is not associated - just scale. PS: - Michael Haselgrove is excluded!!- SW

post-47661-0-30778900-1458037633_thumb.j

post-47661-0-81381100-1458037989_thumb.j

simple,its a holder that will enable fig rolls to be thrown over no mans land into fritz`s trench,an early form of chemical warfare :w00t:

It's a mystery object.

Mike.

It has been bugging me all day, and some form of sighting device is in mind, such as the foreband for a *** - but...???

dog collar with anti personnel mine probe, note to owner, place probe stick forward.

No23 Grenade launcher.

Pte William Traill of our village died in training when his grenade launcher misfired and the grenade popped out, lever flew off and he was killed when it exploded, :poppy:

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Details of that incident would be very interesting to me. I have several and I'm using them when teaching the investigation of incidents as examples of the fact that this is not a new phenomenon!

Rod

You do wonder sometimes if the posts in some threads are actually read at all - in this case, seeing as the objected was correctly identified almost immediately...

Cheers,

GT.

Got it in two!. It is the clip portion of the steel breech cover for the Gewehr 98. The complete cover can be made out on the G.98 leaning against the backdrop beside the mannequin. - SW

post-47661-0-74468900-1458125704_thumb.j

Got it in two!. It is the clip portion of the steel breech cover for the Gewehr 98. The complete cover can be made out on the G.98 leaning against the backdrop beside the mannequin. - SW

Errrm - I can't see anything like than on the rifle leaning against the back if it is something over the breech...

My vote remains with the fig roll thrower idea until proven otherwise.

J

You do wonder sometimes if the posts in some threads are actually read at all - in this case, seeing as the objected was correctly identified almost immediately...

Cheers,

GT.

O I say misses ,bit sniffy for a "little fun post" :w00t:

My vote remains with the fig roll thrower idea until proven otherwise.

J

thank you J for your support :thumbsup:

There are actually two pieces to the breech cover. the clip, as pictured, is placed over the barrel in front of the receiver and snapped over the stock so that the rod points to the rear and lies parallel with the bolt. The missing piece is a curved cover which slides over the rod and can be closed over the bolt where it is secured by a clip to the bolt handle. The bolt can be raised, rotating the cover towards the left, and pulled back with the cover sliding along the rod, exposing the magazine. Fairly effective but noisy. -SW

Yep, it also has the M.17 grenade discharger. In addition I also had a set of luminous night sights, sight protector and sling. And the MG '08 had the water jacket engraved 'Captured by 4th Grenadier Guards' This was when my collection was at its peak,. Gone now. - SW