Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naming of Memorial Plaques

Jon Shattock

Does anyone know what name record was used when they were producing the memorial plaques? Was it the info on the MIC or the CWWG record or some other source?

I have medals named to Z-2711 Pte F Atkinson Rif. Brig. MIC just shows Frederick. However CWWG shows Frederick Thomas. So, what would have been the name on his Memorial Plaque?

Jon

Racing Teapots will give you a definitive answer as to where the names were sourced but the CWGC list was not used.

The CWGC list was compiled by different people, at different times and for a different purpose. Also, the criteria for a plaque and a CWGC listing were different.

The name on the plaque is that used by the soldier on his/her attestation paperwork. This was often an alias.

Nevertheless, the name he/she used at enlistement was the name that was used on the plaque - even when the War Office knew the name was an alias, and knew the soldier's 'real' name.

A plaque could only be returned/replaced by the next of kin if the soldier's records office got the spelling wrong - or if the plaque factory made a mistake. However, plenty of plaques survive, with forenames muddled up, and surnames spelt incorrectly.....

Thanks.

Would the attestation papers have also been used as the source of the info on the MIC? If this is the case, then I think I am looking for a plaque named to Frederick Atkinson rather than Frederick Thomas Atkinson (which will be easier to find). Do you agree?

If this is the case, then I think I am looking for a plaque named to Frederick Atkinson rather than Frederick Thomas Atkinson (which will be easier to find). Do you agree?

Yes. :)

Referring to names on plaques coming from attestation papers - whilst the Army may have followed this course it would appear that the Admiralty did not.

Example 1: Trio & Plaque named to a Royal Marine. Medals named A. HILLS, plaque to AMOS SHEPHERD HILLS. No mention of SHEPHERD on attestation papers or CWGC record.

Example 2: Trio & Plaque to CECIL HAROLD SKELTON. Attestation papers signed and served as Cyril Harold Skelton. 1901 census agrees with plaque.

Example 3: Stoker William Bashford, HMS Bacchante Died 20/2/19. 1914 Star Trio & Plaque. Enlisted and served as Willliam Bashford. CWGC & plaque give WILLIAM HENRY BASHFORD.

Plenty more examples but sufficient to show the attestation papers link with plaque naming isn't true for naval recipients.

TTFN

Neil