Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial - Map Reference

cbryce_1

My Great Grandfather is buried at Oostaverne Wood but his records state that he was moved some time after his death. I have been given the map reference 28.J.14.a.75.75 where he was originally buried and hoped that someone could shed some light on where this is.

He died of wounds on 24 April 1915 and was serving with the 1st Btn Royal Scots.

As his records have been destroyed I have been unable to pinpoint the actual cause and whereabouts of his death.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this for me? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

The map reference is apparantly located in the Nonnebossen, Northwest of Geluveld.

http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html?q=28.j.14.a.75.75

I have seen quite a few German pictures of that area that show British graves.

Jan

I have looked at the CWGC registers for OOSTTAVERNE WOOD CEMETERY. there are no burials for the Royal Scots ( or Royal scots fusiliers) in April 1915. Can you provide your great grandfathers number rank and name. This Cemetery was behind German lines until 1917 when it was opened during the Battles of Messines. Many graves were moved here after the war including a number of men from hill60 28.I.29.c.95.95 who fell in 1915.

I have looked at the CWGC registers for OOSTTAVERNE WOOD CEMETERY. there are no burials for the Royal Scots ( or Royal scots fusiliers) in April 1915. Can you provide your great grandfathers number rank and name. This Cemetery was behind German lines until 1917 when it was opened during the Battles of Messines. Many graves were moved here after the war including a number of men from hill60 28.I.29.c.95.95 who fell in 1915.

I think you overlooked something?

See: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/105164/HUTCHISON,%20ALEXANDER

The grave next to Alexander Hutchison is that of an unknown Royal Scots soldier from the same area.

Both graves were recovered from Nonnebossen in the 1920's.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this for me? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check the battalion war diary?

Thank you everyone for your help. I actually visited his grave few years ago which I found extremely emotional. The war diaries for the period where he died are very general and summarise a two week period so have been unable to pinpoint the actual details of his death. He was only there for a few days when he died. Great that I now know exactly where he died but still trying to find out cause of death. With regards to the soldier, also from the Royal Scots, who is buried beside him - is there still an ongoing project to identify these men?

I think you overlooked something?

See: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/105164/HUTCHISON,%20ALEXANDER

The grave next to Alexander Hutchison is that of an unknown Royal Scots soldier from the same area.

Both graves were recovered from Nonnebossen in the 1920's.

Did you check the battalion war diary?

Thank you - can I ask where you found the information on when the bodies were moved? This is new information to me.

Just click on "concentration" on his page on CWGC. There you can see the Burial Return Sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

1st RS War Diary (In and around Sanctuary Wood 1915)

Thursday 8th April 1915

The Battalion left Poperinghe, marching by companies and halted for tea at Ypres

Companies left Ypres for the trenches independently at intervals of 5 minutes

'A' company at 6.30pm followed by ‘B’, ‘C’ and ‘D’ company in that order

The new section of trenches is situated some 4 miles due east of Ypres, astride the Menin Road

The trenches are in the whole good, but much work required to be done in the nature of building traverse and parados, improving communication trenches and linking up trenches to form a continuous line

The enemy’s trenches are very close at some portion of our front (within 40 yards) and at another point are fully 250 yards distant

Trenches were occupied by ‘A’ company on the right, ‘B’ in the centre, with one platoon ‘C’ company on its left

Across the Menin Road was ‘C’ company less 1 platoon

Battalion Headquarters with ‘D’ company in Battalion reserve in Inverness Copse

These dispositions held good until the night of the 12th April when the Battalion withdrew to Sanctuary Wood where it remained in close support until 16th April

Sunday 11th April 1915

6th reinforcement draft of 49 other ranks arrived Ypres

Monday 12th April 1915

6th reinforcement draft of 49 other ranks sent to Battalion at Sanctuary Wood

Casualties during period: -

Killed: - Captain E. J. F. Johnston and 4 other ranks

Wounded: - 30 other ranks

Wednesday 14th April 1915

Captain L. S. Farquharson, Lieutenant G. M. V. Bidie and 2nd Lieutenant W. G. Cochrane arrived from home

Thursday 15th April 1915

Captain L. S. Farquharson to command B company

Friday 16th April 1915

Battalion returned to trenches relieving 2nd Cameron Highlanders, taking over section previously occupied

The Battalion remained in the trenches until Sunday 4th May 1915

This tour of duty was not only a long, but a particular trying one to all ranks

The Battalion suffered heavily losing three Officers and 29 other ranks killed, and 3 Officers and 190 other ranks wounded

The Minenwerfen made themselves felt and many men suffered severely from shock

The projectiles from this weapon are very effective in breaking down parapets but are fortunately less so as man killers

Our trenches were exposed to enfilade fire from a light gun (mortar guns) and Lieutenant Young and 2nd Lieutenant Pecker were both killed by shell fire from these guns, as well as several of the men

The enfilade guns could not be located, and consequently our guns were unable to silence them

The Minenwerfen were evidently moved from place to place and thus escaped attention from our batteries

Casualties: -

Killed: - Lieutenant N. M. Young 23rd April - 2nd Lieutenant W. A. Copeland 25 April - 2nd Lieutenant H. C. Pecker 20th April and 29 other ranks

Wounded: - Captain K. S. Robertson 28th April – 2nd Lieutenant W. G. Cochrane 26th April – Lieutenant G. M. V. Bidie 3rd May and 190 other ranks

Drafts received 2nd Lieutenant F. Carstairs and 50 men on 18th April

2nd Lieutenant E. H. M. Georgeson (and 17 men rejoined from Hospital) on 27th April

Saturday 24th April 1915

Deaths recorded at CWGC for this day: 2 deaths

Alexander Hutchinson. Private 16390. Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery

A. C. Hepburn. Corporal 3945. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial