Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Bounds for the Battalion" Help please!

18poppy75

Hello all,

I am trying to get a better idea of where my great grandfather was fighting. I have his records but he was in the Army Cyclist Corps, so knowing exactly where he was, or which individual battalions he was fighting with at any given time is near impossible.

Amongst his personal belongings, we found a note (presumably written by him) that reads "the bounds for the battalion are at Aizecourt-le-bas". There is no mention of which battalion, or a date. Does anyone know if this can help us to pinpoint who he was with, or what actions he was involved in?

He was originally in the 2nd HLI but was later moved to the ACC (III Corps Cyclist Bn.) and we know that he was there for the duration of the Battle of the Somme.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

The experts would benefit if you gave his name, service number and any other info that might help identify his unit. A photo with a cap badge is always handy...

Bernard

A copy of the note might help as well. The phrase 'the bounds for the battalion' is a little unusual and reading the complete note may be of help.

Garth

There is no obvious connection between 2/HLI and III Corps Cyclist Battalion, though in May 1916, when divisional cyclist companies were withdrawn to corps, 2/HLI was in 2nd Division which was then part of IV Corps.

Ron

He was with the III Corps Cyclist Bn. for most of the war, so I think the note is unlikely to be related to his time with the 2nd HLI. We have a photo of him in uniform, but no cap/ cap badge I'm afraid. The note seems to be on its own but I think there are also notes on drill exercises, etc.

I will have a look tonight and get all of the details up on here. Thank you for your responses, much appreciated!

A copy of the note might help as well. The phrase 'the bounds for the battalion' is a little unusual and reading the complete note may be of help.

Garth

Just an unusual use of an archaic civilian church term to define the parish boundaries, applied to a military situation to prevent encroachment into another battalions defense perimeter

khaki

Just an unusual use of an archaic civilian church term to define the parish boundaries, applied to a military situation to prevent encroachment into another battalions defense perimeter

khaki

That's how I would read - the area in which the battalion had responsibility.

Craig

The notebook is Field Message Book 153 and contains some interesting lists of soldiers' names (my GGF among them), along with their duties and ranks, etc. under the title "ADAS III corps"...any idea what ADAS stands for?!

It's probably ADOS - Assistant Director of Ordnance Stores, who would have been responsible for the supply of clothing and equipment to units within the Corps. Divisions also had a DADOS, Deputy ditto.

Ron

Thank you, I don't think that's what it is though. It is very clearly A.D.A.S. (written more than once) and what follows is a list of men and what their status/duties are (I assume), eg. bugler, Lewis Gun, Signals, Leave UK, etc.

A long explanation of a bound.

A "Bound" is a distance, line or feature/place that a unit moves to in "one" movement. At an individual, team, section, platoon or company level, moving a "bound" means moving from a place of cover to another place of cover. Higher levels tend to be prominent features that no one can miss, that also (hopefully) provide cover. At a battalion or brigade level they would tend to be ridge lines, towns or hamlets, rivers and roads or railway lines, So a bound is essentially a control measure, in order that a unit doesn't move into another's area, or area of fire, or lose contact/touch with those on its flanks, and a commander can maintain control, particularly important in the pre-radio days.

Cheers,

Hendo

If it is definitely ADAS, the only thing I can think of is Assistant Director of Army Signals, of which each Corps had one.

Ron

Patrick Fullerton

From HLI to ACC Training centre at Chisledon 21st April 1915

To 27th Divisional Cyclist Company 7th June 1915

The War Diary for their time in France is available on Ancestry or via the National Archives

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353446

The 27th DCC moved to Salonika in December 1915

To 8th Divisional Cyclist Company on 25th April 1916

The war Diary for the 8th DCC is available on Ancestry or via the National Archives although for such a brief period there is likely to be little of interest

To 3rd Corps Cyclist Battalion 11th May 1916

The War Diary is at Reference: WO 95/700 3 Corps Cyclist Battalion Not yet digitised so will need to be ordered from, or copied at the National Archives

I'd be very interest in a post showing the list of men and their duties

Regards

Clive

Hello, thanks so much for that!

The details on his military records state that he was only ever in France (or at home, briefly). Haha, I've actually just ordered a copy of the 3rd Corps Cyclist Battalion diary from the National Archives, I can't wait to see it! Hopefully it can tell me a bit more. There isn't much out there about the cyclists, from what I can see.

I'll post a scan of those lists up for you :)

Here is the first list (the clearer of the two)

Here is the second. Hope these are of interest! I have tried searching for a few of the men but haven't had much luck so far!

post-122153-0-65677500-1457870568_thumb.

post-122153-0-93857100-1457870652_thumb.

These must date from early 1917 at the earliest as he is listed as a Corporal in some of the pages and was only appointed Corporal in Feb. of that year.

The dates are taken from his service papers which are online on Ancestry (and FMP). if you go to the Imperial War Museum website and search the collection, there is an excellent photo of the 27th Divisional Cyclists just after landing in Salonika.

Corps Cyclist Battalions were very small with only just over 300 officers and men. As a member of 8th Divisional Cyclists your GGF will have served initially with A Company, 3rd Corps Cyclists. B Companywas formed from the 19th Divisional Company and C from the 34th.,

Not many photographs of Corps Cyclist Battalions around so if you have any, I'd be very interested in seeing them.

All the best

Clive

As far as 'bounds' is concerned , I wonder why Madame Lucane's estaminet was out-of bounds :thumbsup:. Very convenient having her estaminet next door to Bde. HQ. though.

post-34209-0-62856000-1457890788_thumb.j

TEW

As far as 'bounds' is concerned , I wonder why Madame Lucane's estaminet was out-of bounds :thumbsup:. Very convenient having her estaminet next door to Bde. HQ. though.

attachicon.gifmadame.jpg

TEW

Well, I'm sure it had to be 'inspected' regularly to make sure it wasn't be visited by those banned from doing so.

Craig

Haha!

The dates are taken from his service papers which are online on Ancestry (and FMP). if you go to the Imperial War Museum website and search the collection, there is an excellent photo of the 27th Divisional Cyclists just after landing in Salonika.

Corps Cyclist Battalions were very small with only just over 300 officers and men. As a member of 8th Divisional Cyclists your GGF will have served initially with A Company, 3rd Corps Cyclists. B Companywas formed from the 19th Divisional Company and C from the 34th.,

Not many photographs of Corps Cyclist Battalions around so if you have any, I'd be very interested in seeing them.

All the best

Clive

I'm afraid I don't have any photos for you! The only wartime picture I have of Patrick is the one already posted, when he was at home.

Thanks so much for that information! Could you tell me how the Corps Cyclist Battalions worked? Were they split up, or did they move about together? There are further lists of names in my GGF's notebook and having found the records/medal index cards for (some of) the men listed, I have found that they are all from different regiments...only one other ACC man! It's so confusing! Thanks!

Nice general question you have posted there...

Your GGF originally joined the 27th Divisional Company. This was formed from men of the Infantry Battalions of 27th Division. All the Battalions appear to have contributed men excepted the 2nd DCLI and the 1st A&SH. Most of their medal cards show their original unit and service number as well as the Cyclist Corps number.

The 8th Company, which he joined in 1916, was also made up of Regular soldiers. The 8th Cyclist Company men were still on the strength of their parent units when the went overseas on 7th November 1914 so their medals were named to the parent unit. The Regular soldiers of the first eight Cyclist Companies did not transfer to the ACC until mid January 1915.

I don't know the details of the IIIrd Corps Battalion but Cyclist Battalions tended to be dispersed. Typically, they provided Corps observation posts, traffic control parties and fatigue parties for most of 1916 and 1917. In 1918 some were sent into the line in a dismounted role. The XI Corps lost 230 out of 290 men at La Couture in April 1918 when they were deployed as infantry. The IX Corps Cyclists fought as infantry at Meteren in April 1918 and at Fismes in May 1918 The VIII Corps Battalion held a section of the line around Trotte in June. Towards the end of the war, when they were once again used in their originally intended scouting role during the final advance , the Cyclist Battalions were split up between the leading Brigades to act as scouts, usually one Platoon to a Brigade.

Clive