Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Great Grandpa served in East Surreys?

jochakram

Dear Folks,

I'm desperately trying to find out if my great grand father served in the 1st Bttn East Surrey Regiment during the Great War.

I have one source of info saying that he did and nothing else!

His full name was John Robert Milnes. He wasn't killed during the war, but died about 1948/9.

That's it; that's all I have. Is there anyone who can help me?

Oh and I ought to say that I live in Cyprus and can't easily get to any sources in the UK. Help!!

Many thanks,

Jo

Jo.

No "John Robert", "John R", "John", "J R" or "J" Milnes showing on the online MIC list for the East Surrey's.

Dave.

National Archive For Medal Index Search? ;) Which you should be able to access from Cyprus OK.!!

Dear Guys,

Many thanks for the reply. What is the MIC? Sorry to be so ignorant, but new to this! BG

Also checked the Medal index and no J or JR or John or John Robert Milnes in the East Surrey's. He may not have been in the East Surrey's, I only have someone's word for it. How can I check if he was in any other regiment and make sure it's him (I think I have his date of birth!)?

Many thanks again for the info and advice.

Jo

Hi The MiC is the Medal Index Card System,all Service personnel in the UK Forces{Army @ present is on line} had an Official Index Card which gives the Actual Medal Roll Page References & certain other information,such as Forename{Usually} Regiment{s} served with,Army Number;If Killed.Discharged,Etc.it is accessable from the Link I have put above in my previous posting,by clicking on it ,where it is underlined,by searching that site you will find the Medal Index Card Listing which is Online searchable,for Name,Number,Regiment,Etc