Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mills Bomb Centre Tube Removal Tool

Grovetown

The very handy http://www.millsgrenades.co.uk/ site describes the below as a centre tube removal tool.

On the very great assumption that such things aren't readily available, can anyone suggest a practicable alternative for removing the tubes; as I've a couple of beggars that just won't shift no matter what?

Mills%20Bomb%20Tube%20Removal%20Tool_zps

Cheers,

GT.

On the very great assumption that such things aren't readily available, can anyone suggest a practicable alternative for removing the tubes; as I've a couple of beggars that just won't shift no matter what?

GT,

Fortunately, such a Mills centre tube removal tool is available, here is the GWF link which shows mine :-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188323&page=27

I also had some Mills grenades with centre tube that were stuck tight, and with this tool I was able to easily remove them. It is important to well lubricate the area around the centre tube's thread, I used light gun oil, and if possible secure the grenade in a vice before inserting the removal tool into the holes in the centre tube, it is also important to get the prongs of the tool fully inserted into the two holes to give maximum leverage.

this handy tool can be purchased from :-

www.Dugup.co.uk

Telephone - 903 217340

Regards,

LF

Thank you.

I am aware of the Dug Up item, yet their caveat that "Note: This tool is for fitting new centre tubes and not for trying to remove ones that has been fitted for many years" (sic) led me to discount it as not being man enough for the job.

Cheers,

GT.

Thank you.

I am aware of the Dug Up item, yet their caveat that "Note: This tool is for fitting new centre tubes and not for trying to remove ones that has been fitted for many years" (sic) led me to discount it as not being man enough for the job.

Cheers,

GT.

GT,

Mine has been completely successful with several Mills grenades, including 2 that were ' stuck fast ', however, to try to hold the grenade in one hand and use the tool with the other hand, would be a complete waste of time.

By oiling the centre tube thread area and leaving it overnight to allow the oil to penetrate into the thread, then wrapping the grenade in thick cloth to protect the surface, secure the grenade in a vice, and then inserting the tool's prongs fully into the centre tube's holes, will give enough leverage to undo even those centre tubes which appear to be stuck fast, it does work.

Once the centre tube is released, this tool is ideal for quick and easy removal and replacement of the centre tube.

Regards,

LF

Very easy to make. The extra leverage on mine has proved useful!

post-89541-0-92823400-1457374161_thumb.j