Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemetery postcards

AliceF

Sending (as a soldier yourself) your beloved mother a postcard of soldier's graves for her birthday......

But at least he díd think of her, and clearly loves her, and sends her money (and quite a considerable amount for a mere soldier) to buy herself a birthday-present!

Anyway:

"Habe wieder 6 tage in erstene linis gelegen" ? is more or less how I read it (but there seems to be a letter following "linis")

Fritz Limbach's schedule (in North-Western France) was 4 days front line, 4 days in reserve, 4 days rest, so maybe they were on a 6 day schedule in North-Eastern France (I believe Essey is just north of Nancy?)

And I read it as "Lilchen", "1915", and "Viele grüsse" .

Hi,

it´s "Lieschen", the diminuitive of Liese(l) which is short for Elisabeth. I did read "in erster Linie", too. But it seems to be misspelled by the author as "Linihe", that´s what I make of it, anyway.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thanks for your comments! Of course, in "erster Linie" makes sense (something like: I have been 6 days in the frontline, therefore this card is late).

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

Today for once another type of card, which was not sent.

Noticed it because of the rather unusual cause of dead in the context of WW1 (and the usual mixing up of names and spellings).  

The information at the sales page says: grave of Gefreiter Herm. Stässer

On the back of the card it is written:

„Das Grab von

Herrmann Gläsel

gestorben am 19/8 1916

am Herzschlag beim

Baden ertrunken.“

„The grave of Herrmann Gläsel, died 19th of August 1916, due to a heart attack drowned while swimming.”

In the Verlustenliste there is no Herrmann or Hermann Gläsel, but Hermann Gläser and the date of death is actually given.

Hermann Gläser (LIR 107, 7. Komp.):

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4746247 

19.8.16 infolge Unfall gestorben (died due to an accident).

Today Hermann Gläser has no known grave – or at least I did not find him in the Volksbund database.

Well, the grave was well taken care of at the time the photo was made.

Christine

Source of the card: http://www.akpool.de/ansichtskarten/26691275-foto-ansichtskarte-postkarte-deutsches-soldatengrab-birkenholz-gefreiter-herm-staesser-i-wk

Paul_Gläser.jpg

Paul_Gläser_t.jpg

I have had some problems to read this card.

So any help/corrections are welcome.

Some things seem to be a bit strange so I might have got somethings wrong.

„Liebe kleine Frieda!

Will dich heute zum Sonntag mit diesem

Kärtchen erfreuen und sende dir hiermit die

besten Grüße. Bei meiner vollen Gesundheit deine

Karte mit vielem Dank erhalten; und ich laure

schon alle Tage auf das ersehnte Brieflein von

dir. Du wirst vielleicht heute spazieren sein

im schönen xxxtal oder fällt das jetzt

weg. Ich war heute wieder im Schützengraben

mit einem Herrn [???] und bin hierbei zurück. Sonst

ist bei uns eine furchtbare Hitze geregnet hat

es schon x Wochen nicht mehr. Ist es in der Heimat

auch so? xxx xxx xxx gut. Auf der

Ansicht ist ein Massengrab von unseren Kamera-

den. Es grüßt dich dein Schwager [???] xxx“

Dear little Frieda!

Want to please you today on Sunday with this card and send you best regards.

Have received your card in best health, thank you very much;

and I am already longing for the letter from you.

You might make a walk today, in the beautiful xxx valley, or is this dropped now.

I was in the trench today together with a gent [???] and am back now.

Otherwise it is very hot here, it hasn’t rained for x weeks.

Is it like this at home, too? Xxx xxx xxx xxx.

On the card there is a mass grave of our comrades.

Best regards your brother in law [???] xxx

Sent to

Frl. Frieda Richter

b. Herrn Preusger

in Hirschfelde

b. Zittau in Sachsen

Christine

Source of the card: http://www.ebay.de/itm/AK-Soldatenfriedhof-Kriegsgraber-Mausoleum-1915/382253209555?hash=item59001117d3:g:jB4AAOSw87tZ5KH~

Mausoleum.jpg

Mausoleum_t.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

France 26th of December

Dear mother, brothers and sisters

I have received the parcels no 12 and 13. Thank you very much, the large letter as well.

The sight is the one which I have written about before. The graves are beautifully situated below firs in the park of a castle.

Otherwise I am all right. Yesterday at Christmas Eve we went into reserve.

Best regards and at the same time I wish you a happy new year Kaspar

„Frankreich den 26.12.

Liebe Mutter u. Geschw[ister].

Habe nun beide Paketchen No. 12 u. 13

erhalten. Herzlichen Dank dafür, auch den

großen Brief. Das ist eine Ansicht wo

ich auch damals schon mal von schrieb

wo die Gräber so schön in einem

Schloßpark unter Tannen liegen.

Sonst geht es mir noch gut, wir sind

gestern auf Wei[h]nachtsabend in Reserve

gerückt. Viele Grüße u. gleichzeitig ein recht

glückliches neues Jahr wünscht Kaspar.“

Sender: Musk. Nevelz

Xxx xxx

Sent to:

Wilh. Nevelz

in Bardenberg

Kr[eis] Aachen

Mühlenhausstr No 33

Rheinland

Kaspar Nevelz was missing according to a Verlustenliste in 1919:http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/8800547 

(According to this entry his birthday was the day before he wrote the card at the 25th of December)

Found him in the IRCR records, but no further information.

Christine

Source: https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collectables/postcards/france-other-municipalities-1/aisne-02-margival-cimetiere-militaire-allemand-dans-le-parc-du-chateau-de-montgarni-guerre-14-18-allemagne-312688214.html

Edited by AliceF

A couple more for you I came across while looking for another thing - these of of Bouconville, Soldatenfriedhof at: http://www.ebay.de/itm/AK-Bouconville-Soldatenfriedhof/132370522068?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49132%26meid%3D9756ae9e2b374cf19df024a4695fc86c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D202117978000&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

Same seller (no connection!) has a couple others there of the same entrance with text: "Wer den tod im heiligen kaempfe fand /  Ruht auch in fremder Erde im Vaterland"

13 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

If you want to search ebay then do it the easy way

https://picclick.de/?q=soldatenfriedhof

Thanks for the tip, but not my thing really! Just found this one and its peers by chance and thought it may interest others of the morbid inclination...!!!

Thanks for the links! I have tried many different ways and languages - always interesting to see what pops up.

I have been wondering if I have some kind of "morbid inclination" - and do not think I have one - but judging oneself is not really always very objective - I admit.

What was this nice word that somebody named in one of the threads: taphophile. I liked that. But really only virtual and only 100 years back.

Christine

3 hours ago, AliceF said:

Thanks for the links! I have tried many different ways and languages - always interesting to see what pops up.

I have been wondering if I have some kind of "morbid inclination" - and do not think I have one - but judging oneself is not really always very objective - I admit.

What was this nice word that somebody named in one of the threads: taphophile. I liked that. But really only virtual and only 100 years back.

My 'morbid inclination' was very much in jest! Yes, taphonomy, study of how things are deposited, is fine. Seriously, AliceF, I greatly enjoy following this thread and continue to be astounded at the marvellous work you do with transcribing and translating so many of the post card texts! I keep on meaning - for my retirement(!) -  to download some of the ones you have done to better understand what is being written - although my lack of good German will always hold me back there when it comes to understanding the gist of the text: even so, if I can learn how to read words then that will get me somewhere!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎19 at 18:40, trajan said:

My 'morbid inclination' was very much in jest! Yes, taphonomy, study of how things are deposited, is fine. Seriously, AliceF, I greatly enjoy following this thread and continue to be astounded at the marvellous work you do with transcribing and translating so many of the post card texts!

:)

Today  a card where the sender can be seen on the photo.

”11.VII.15

Liebe Mutter!

Diese Karte zeigt dir ein Be-

gräbnis auf unserem Militär-

friedhof. Mich kannst du darauf

ganz gut sehen, der Pfeil zeigt

dir, wo ich stehe. Bin, Gott sei

Dank noch gesund. Dieses hoffe

ich auch von dir.

Viele herzliche Grüße dein

dich treuliebender Sohn

Xaver

Grüß auch Steiner, Besold [?],

Lindner und alle Bekannten.“

11.VII.15

Dear Mother!

This card shows a funeral in our military cemetery.

You can see me quite well, the arrow shows were I am standing.

Thank God, I am still well. Hope the same for you.

Best wishes from your loving son Xaver

Send best regards also to Steiner, Besold, Lindner and all friends

Christine

Source of the card: https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Weltkrieg-HELDENBEGRABNIS-auf-dem-Soldatenfriedhof-1915/372153861734?hash=item56a6194666:g:s6YAAOSw-0xYOCCy 

Postkarte_47StMihiel_f.jpg

Postkarte_47StMihiel_t.jpg

Interesting one! My impression is of a coffinless burial - two men walking away with an empty coffin having removed and then interred a shrouded corpse in the grave (rather as is done in Islam, incidentally!).

NIce to see Xaver, the "treuliebender Sohn", in the postcard - but I do wonder what his Mother must have thought!

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎11 at 03:46, trajan said:

NIce to see Xaver

I started actually with looking for a name with H. But fortunately I was not the only one who has misread -it was done even at that time. There are 11 entries for Haver - mot of them with the note Xaver and not Haver. Not that I would have ever heard the name Haver, but you never know.....

Today a card, where the picture  is probably more interesting than the text.

I found all three names in the Verlustenliste: Hans Kumme, Bogislaw v. Ramin and Leo Gollnik. All Feldflieger, they died in a plane crash.

None of them have known grave locations today. The seller of the card gives the location with Lyptripy - I can not really read the text on the card and have no idea where this place is located.

„Geschrieben 25.VII.17

Liebe Schwester!

Deine liebe Karte vom 20. d.[es] M.[onats]

mit vielem Dank erhalten. Habe

auch heute P. [aket?] 10 und 11. erhalten.

Sonst geht es noch einigermaßen

hoffe das gleiche von dir u. Euch

allen. Viele Grüsse an

die auf der Karte unterschriebenen.

Mit tausend Grüssen

Verbleibt dein

Bruder Lui [? Louis?]

Entschuldige die schlechte Schrift denn

es war schon dunkel“

Sent to:

Fräulein Alma Rode

Görsbach

bei Nordhausen

Written 25.VII.17

Dear sister!

Thank you very much for your dear card from the 20th of this month.

Have also received today mail/parcel [?] # 10 and 11.

I am more or less alright; hope the same for you and all others.

Best regards to all who signed the card.

With thousand greetings

Your brother Lui [?Louis or short for Ludwig?]

Sorry about the bad handwriting it was dark already.

Christine

Source of the card: http://www.ebay.de/itm/b85464-Ansichtskarte-Soldatenfriedhof-Lyptripy-Graber-Feldflieger-1917/362113194320?hash=item544fa0d950:g:gcQAAOSwqd1ZyPqQ

Lyptripy_f.jpg

Lyptripy_t.jpg

Edited by AliceF

14 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

Lyntupy is now situated in Belarus , directly bordering Lithuania, 5km north of Svencionys and 180km north of Minsk.

here are photos of the funeral:

Thanks a lot for this additional information! Not very often one can add info about the funeral itself.

Christine

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you all had a nice Christmas and a good start into the New Year 2018!

I had been further north and had actually a white Christmas, which cannot be taken for granted anymore even at those latitudes.

Today a card from the cemetery in Billy from autumn 1916:

”19.X.16.

Liebe Schwester!

Bin heute wieder glücklich von der

Stellung zurückgelangt. Man [?] kann

tatsächlich „glücklich“ sagen denn jetzt

sterben wir bald den Heldentod im

Dreck vor lauter Regen. Meinen Brief

wirst du hoffentlich erhalten haben. Sonst

gibt es nichts Neues. Was ist mit

deinem mir brieflich mitgeteilten Entschluß.

Überleg dir alles reiflich u. schreibe mir

hierüber. Viele Grüße an dich xxx

alle Bekannten auch deine xxx xxx

Dein Bruder Georg [?]“

Dear sister!

Today I got luckily back from the position.

You can really say “luckily”, because we will soon die the hero’s death in the mud because of all the rain. Hopefully you have received my letter. Otherwise there is no news. How is it going with your decision you wrote about in your letter. Think about it carefully and write to me about it.

Best regards to you, xxx friends also your xxx

Your brother Georg

Sender:

Unteroff. Gg. [?] Weingärtner

Bayer. Fussartillerie Battr. 786, Feldpost-

station 253, Westen

Send to:

Frl. H. Weingärtner

Bamberg

Horntalstr [?] 28/I

Christine

Source of the card: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Deutsche-Soldatenfriedhof-Billy-vor-Verdun-Graber-1-WK-AK/372177070696?hash=item56a77b6a68:g:WfMAAOSwgmtaQ3Dp

Billy_f.jpg

Billy_t.jpg

Greetings Christine

I wonder what decision the Sister of the sender had to make.

Here from the North of France

is a card from The Arras area, Maison Blanche - Le Cimetiere Militaire Allemand 40,00 Graves.

There is nothing recorded on the back and is from  an old collection of my Grandmothers so possibly late 1950's - 1960's

Martin

5a4ce11218f2b_MaisonBlanche.jpg.c7bd0efef1d09ce649c8969b96ee137c.jpg

Edited by Martin Feledziak

Hi Martin,

Thanks for posting the card!

I am surprised that your grandmother collected postcards like this and that the collection survived.

Great that you could take care of it.

All the best 

Christine

• 3 months later...
On ‎16‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 20:05, AOK4 said:

I think this may be Ardon-sous-Laon, I have some cards from that cemetery for sale as well on delcampe... The graves from Ardon were moved to laon "Champ de Manoeuvre" after the war.

Jan

Jan, would you be so kind as to share with me what else you know about the Ardon cemetery? I’ve found only one image of the Ardon cemetery on the internet, but it does not tell much about the location. Does anybody know a map showing the exact locations of the graveyards? Where did you get the information, that the graves of Ardon were moved to “Champ de Manoeuvre”?

According to the notification letter which my great grandmother received, my great grandfather (German) was buried at Ardon in October 1917. Nowadays his grave is at the cemetery Laon “Bousson”. I’m wondering if Bousson and Ardon are actually the same cemetery under different names or if some of the German graves from Ardon cemetery were moved to Bousson at some point. As you may know, Bousson is located only about 1 km away from the center of Ardon, so either is plausible to me.

16 minutes ago, Tetris L said:

Jan, would you be so kind as to share with me what else you know about the Ardon cemetery? I’ve found only one image of the Ardon cemetery on the internet, but it does not tell much about the location. Does anybody know a map showing the exact locations of the graveyards? Where did you get the information, that the graves of Ardon were moved to “Champ de Manoeuvre”?

According to the notification letter which my great grandmother received, my great grandfather (German) was buried at Ardon in October 1917. Nowadays his grave is at the cemetery Laon “Bousson”. I’m wondering if Bousson and Ardon are actually the same cemetery under different names or if some of the German graves from Ardon cemetery were moved to Bousson at some point. As you may know, Bousson is located only about 1 km away from the center of Ardon, so either is plausible to me.

Hello,

The German graves at Ardon were on the civilian cemetery (Route de Leuilly). I've sold some cards of the cemetery. I've checked and the graves were indeed moved to Bousson according to the Volksbund.

Jan

51 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

The German graves at Ardon were on the civilian cemetery (Route de Leuilly). I've sold some cards of the cemetery. I've checked and the graves were indeed moved to Bousson according to the Volksbund.

Are you sure it was a civilian cemetery? In the above mentioned letter it was called “Militärfriedhof”, and the image that I found on the internet (see links below) looks more like a dedicated cemetery for German soldiers. Also, the size of the site and the situation on the hillside with the trees is quite similar to that of Bousson – that’s why I was wondering.

134s24_ardon.jpg

https://www.fof-ohlsdorf.de/134s21_soldaten (scroll down half way to the bottom)

https://picclick.at/Foto-AK-Ehrenfriedhof-Ardon-Laon-in-Longueval-Frankreich-1918-162949354562.html