Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geordies in the North Staffs

Guest martin37

I would like to know my father Edward Taylor's battallion so I can look at the war diaries and see where he served.Whenever we asked what he did in the war he just said '' ran away''!!!

He was from South Shields ,as was his lifelong friend Bob Richardson.

My father volunteered in 1914 at 17 years old and I'd always assummed he was in the DLI until it was pointed out that the cap badge was wrong!His service medals are long gone.

Here is a geat photo of his platoon .I would be delighted if someone out there had a copy of this and could give the battallion number.

My dad is front left & his pal Bob is front right.

post-1-1101496511.jpg

Martin

I recommend that you get a copy of his medal card which you can do online at the National Archive website for £3.50.

Knowing that your father was in the North Staffs should make it easier for you to find the correct Edward Taylor and also Bob Richardson. You may also find from the card that he served in other regiments (my gt grandfather served in 3).

After finding his card you can probably get his battalion from the medal rolls which are not online but at the National Archives in London. You may also be lucky and find his service papers are among the 40% that survived. If you cannot get to London there are researchers who will do it for you.

I recommend that you go onto the website 'The Long Long Trail' and you will find details of how to research your father under 'Grandad's War'.

Best of luck

SEAN

Thank's Sean for the info on the medal cards at the national Archive site.I now have my father's service number and so have made a big step forward.