Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MH106 but which sub-set?

TEW

I'm not asking for a look up as I'm going to TNA next week and as part of the learning curve I want to look up a man with a record that shows on FWR's MH106.

He is AH Preston 202942 RWK on FWR and A or AE Preston on thegenealogist.

Medal roll to 690105 Preston, Labour Corps.

Without a subscription I have no way of finding out which sub-set of MH106 he's in.

It could be a Field ambulance, CCS, Hospital etc. Not even sure which Division he was with. His number suggests 4th RWK but LLT suggests those Bns. don't tally with being wounded in France.

Perhaps If someone could look him up but only tell me the sub-set??

Thanks

TEW

I'm not asking for a look up as I'm going to TNA next week and as part of the learning curve I want to look up a man with a record that shows on FWR's MH106.
He is AH Preston 202942 RWK on FWR and A or AE Preston on thegenealogist.
Medal roll to 690105 Preston, Labour Corps.
Without a subscription I have no way of finding out which sub-set of MH106 he's in.
It could be a Field ambulance, CCS, Hospital etc. Not even sure which Division he was with. His number suggests 4th RWK but LLT suggests those Bns. don't tally with being wounded in France.
Perhaps If someone could look him up but only tell me the sub-set??
Thanks
TEW

He has records on FMP (and presumably Ancestry) - FMP is paying up so I couldn't see his whole remaining record.

Joined 4/4th and trans to 3/4th then to 6th Bn in Feb 1918.

Admitted 12th general hospital ?? on 10 Aug 18 and 3rd Scottish General on 28 Aug 18.

Craig

Craig,

Seems FMP has trumped ancestry. Can't see records for him on ancestry. If he was wounded again in 1918 he's probably not my man. The FWR entry is Aug and Nov 1917, I would be fairly certain my man was discharged following a hospital stay.

Will see FMP tomorrow. May still plough through a lot of MH106 next week. Still hunting the elusive Seale Hayne patients, hope to find some in discharge records from other UK hospitals.

Thanks

TEW

Hello TEW,

MH106/97 and MH106/105 you'll need -he has 2 records we have indexed so far at FWR, both in 1917 (2/7 and 15/10 respectively).

I hope this helps,

Hello excuse me jumping in on topic but I sometimes look at FWR index but haven't got a subscription, I notice that some soldiers appear twice under different dates what causes this and what is the MH 106 list.

Thanks Tim, very good of you. Do you have UK hospitals underway or planned?

TEW

Never say never!

TEW: I think if we were to discover a significant set of registers for admission/discharge to UK hospitals we would certainly consider covering these also as they'd 'fit' very well and the data entry staff are very well versed indeed in the locational & medical terminology.

TTracer44: Soldiers appearing under different dates within MH106 would mean they have 2 entries in the MH106 registers, this might be 2 parts of the same treatment chain for the same wound/ailment but it is usually more likely these are 2 separate wounds/ailments entirely.

A namesake of mine was in the same casualty clearing station on the same day with 2 completely different wounds - I 1st thought it was a mistake until I checked the original images and found it to be an accurately recorded entry in both cases, he'd clearly been moved from a head wound ward to a arm wound ward I am assuming?

The MH106 'lists' are over 1200 files held at Kew's national archives they contain a small percentage (2-5% reportedly) of the original admission & discharge registers of the hospital and treatment 'chain' for soldiers in all theatres of war for WWI.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10949

It is the admission/discharge registers we are transcribing, nothing else.

MH106 is the file reference and there's around 1.4 million names mentioned in total. The other 95-97% were destroyed due to lack of storage, so the survivors were deliberately kept to allow a snapshot study of records for historical and analytical purposes after WWI.

The collections comes in a variety of 2 page ledgers, handwritten in pencil for the most part & some barely legible.

The collection at Kew is arranged and sorted by ambulance/casualty clearing station it cannot be searched by name/regiment or anything else.

I hope this helps,

Hello excuse me jumping in on topic but I sometimes look at FWR index but haven't got a subscription, I notice that some soldiers appear twice under different dates what causes this and what is the MH 106 list.

The MH106 is admissions and discharges from medical units. Hospitals, CCS, ambulances (not the vehicle), some in France some UK based. FWR are I think doing more and more of these will appear (will be corrected on that one!)

TNA entry FWR information

2 entries means he was wounded twice or perhaps admitted and discharged from one hospital and then admitted and discharged from another.

TEW

Just for information MH106 contains information in the admission/discharge registers for the following:

14,51,66,139,149 Field Ambulance

3,11,31,34,39,82 Casualty Clearing Station

2,18,19,28,85 General Hospital

4 Surgical Hospital

Middlesex, Queen Alexandra's, Catterick Camp & Craig Lockhart Hospitals

Assay and number 31 Ambulance trains

There may be a very small number allocated elsewhere but we will only know that once the legible registers are completed.

Appears we posted at same time yesterday!

Am off to TNA next week and hope to be able to browse MH106 UK Hospitals.

Have you seen the cards for Leicestershire Regt. and RFA? eg /2130 and /2140. I presume they have a different format?

Thanks

TEW

Cards?

If they are cards they will certainly be a different format as all I have seen is ledgers.

It should be noted however that the images are taken by one person and fed through to a number of checkers who prepare each image before the data entry staff get to read and input, so I rarely see the original images unless I am asked to make a decision on what should go where into our data tables (not very often!) or where I originally look at a new source we are considering working upon.

Just for information MH106 contains information in the admission/discharge registers for the following:

14,51,66,139,149 Field Ambulance

3,11,31,34,39,82 Casualty Clearing Station

2,18,19,28,85 General Hospital

4 Surgical Hospital

Middlesex, Queen Alexandra's, Catterick Camp & Craig Lockhart Hospitals

Assay and number 31 Ambulance trains

There may be a very small number allocated elsewhere but we will only know that once the legible registers are completed.

Although I don't think this helps with the casualty you are looking for, but I have photographed and transcribed all the Assaye MH106 series mentioned above during the Gallipoli campaign. If anyone needs a look-up I would be happy to help.

Regards

Alan

TEW A bit late in replying but thanks for the explanation on MH106