Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Samuel B. Yates, 8th Bn. Manchester Regt.

Guest Edmundo

I was just wondering if anyone could add any further information to what I already have:

2nd Lieutenant. Samuel Benjamin Yates, 10th Bn. attd. 8th Bn. Manchester Regt. KIA: 22/12/1917 aged 23. Promoted from the ranks having served as a private with service numbers 3733 & 251186. Born in Manchester. Samuel Yates was the son of Samuel B. (a hydraulic Packer) and Mary A. Yates, of 55, Wimbourne St., Newton Heath, Manchester. He is buried in Bethune Town Cemetery (plot III, row J, grave 21).

L/G 24/08/1916: “Manchester Regt.- Cadet Samuel Benjamin Yates to be appointed 2nd Lt. (on prob.) 5th Aug. 1916.”

L/G 01/09/1916: “Manchester Regt.- The appointment of 2nd Lt. of Cadet Samuel Benjamin Yates, which appeared in the Gazette of the 24th Aug. 1916, is cancelled.”

L/G 01/11/1916: “Manchester Regt.- The announcement regarding 2nd Lt. S. B. Yates, which appeared in the Gazette of 1st Sept. 1916, is cancelled.”

I would be particuarly interested in photo if someone has one but any information would be most appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ed

No mention of the date he died in 42Division History, nor any reference to him that I can see.

Interestingly, I can't find his name in the Divisional roll of honour for either the 8th or 10th Mancs.

John

• 6 months later...
I was just wondering if anyone could add any further information to what I already have:

2nd Lieutenant. Samuel Benjamin Yates, 10th Bn. attd. 8th Bn. Manchester Regt. KIA: 22/12/1917 aged 23. Promoted from the ranks having served as a private with service numbers 3733 & 251186. Born in Manchester. Samuel Yates was the son of Samuel B. (a hydraulic Packer) and Mary A. Yates, of 55, Wimbourne St., Newton Heath, Manchester. He is buried in Bethune Town Cemetery (plot III, row J, grave 21).

L/G 24/08/1916: “Manchester Regt.- Cadet Samuel Benjamin Yates to be appointed 2nd Lt. (on prob.) 5th Aug. 1916.”

L/G 01/09/1916: “Manchester Regt.- The appointment of 2nd Lt. of Cadet Samuel Benjamin Yates, which appeared in the Gazette of the 24th Aug. 1916, is cancelled.”

L/G 01/11/1916: “Manchester Regt.- The announcement regarding 2nd Lt. S. B. Yates, which appeared in the Gazette of 1st Sept. 1916, is cancelled.”

I would be particuarly interested in photo if someone has one but any information would be most appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ed

ed,he was attatched to the 8th batt,his unit was the 10th batt manchester regt[oldham chums]