Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Navy and Army Illustrated 1902

tjp28blue

Hello,

Not sure if I have the correct forum but I have found a photograph on page 371 of the Navy and Army Illustrated 1902 (Lancers shoeing smith at work) that I would like to use in a small book I am writing about soldiers from our village who were killed in WW1. The publishers of the magazine are Hudson and Kearns, but they stopped trading a long time ago. Grateful if anyone can tell me if I can assume that this photograph is no longer under copyright and therefore ok to use.

Many thanks and Regards

TJP

Coincidentally, I was looking at some copies of the 1895/6 & 7 volumes at the weekend. Many of the photos are familiar so I imagine they are from newspaper photo libraries and suchlike. as to copyright I have no idea.

If you need a photo of a shoeing smith at work, you might find a GW somewhere you can use. Not sure if there is one in the Horsepower archives, but I'll ask the Assistant Curator 9who is a member of this Forum) if he has anything.

TJP: enquiries such as yours sometimes prompt a flurry of posts and links to "authoritative" websites that can leave the matter still in doubt! :) My pragmatic approach would be that a photograph 114 years old is unlikely to be in copyright and if it is the holder is unlikely to come across your use of it in a "small" local history. If (s)he does, it would be rather petty for them to make any fuss more than a mild remonstrance.

Some authors cover themselves by saying something like "every effort has been made to trace copyright holders of material used in this book. Anyone who believes they have unacknowledged copyright are invited to contact the author so the matter can be rectified in any future edition" and/or apologising for inadvertent use of copyright material.

Moonraker

Thank you Steven and Moonraker for your replies. Moonraker I like your pragmatic approach and will go with this. However trawling the internet it appears that with photographs (and perhaps other things) the copyright continues for 70 years after the death of the originator. So I am ok on this count.

Regards,

TJP