Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A couple of queries

DCLI

I have just bought a trio where the recipent was also eleigible for a SWB - how do I go about the impossible task of tracing it? I know they had numbers on them, were they the recipient's regimental number or something different?

Ribbon bars; were they supplied with the ribbons or purchased privately by the owner? I have my grandfather's miniature ribbon bar - which seems a strange item to have made up.

regards

post-23-1101467016.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The recipients MIC will have a reference to the SWB roll from which the badge number can be obtained. As to where the badge is - how long is a piece of string?

However why not list the number - you may strike gold!!

Ian

Ian

Thanks for that, I have the MIC and a number for the SWB- C/49, where do I go now?

You have to access the SWB Roll Page that the MiC Number c/49 Refers to,that will give you a Copy of the SWB Roll page with your Mans Name,Actual Badge & Issue Certificate Number;Date of enlistment,Discharge:Cause{often as just a King's Regulation Number:K.R.....;Wether he went overseas{which he obviously did} Sometimes Age & sometimes actual Cause of Discharge,@ present this has to be obtained @ the NA in Person or via a Researcher{or Friendly Pal who is Going there}

Ribbon Bars ,both Full Size & Miniature*{*which were often worn in Mufti,on the lapel} were often made up by the Battalion Tailor,if still serving,The soldier,himself,if he was handy with a Needle & thread,Gents Outfitters used to have these type of things on Display{especially the Ready made up Mini Variety}& You could have them made up to order from Haberdashers,Military Tailors,Gents Outfitters {Of the Up Market Millets Variety}Etc,The Soldier would well be presented with a Ribbon Bar for items such as the DCM,MM,"In the Field",The actual Award being Presented @ Home When on Leave or ignominously Posted on to Him/.His Next of Kin,Whilst he was still in France.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steady................................the detial of SWB rolls can vary from unit to unit!

What you will get is badge number, date of enlistment and discharge plus KR at the very least. Sometimes age and actual wound or sickness is detailed plus any pension awarded.

Some of the early SWBs were issued for termination of engagement and sickness varying for alcoholism to Bright's disease. Reference can be supplied to doubting Thomas'.

Steady................................the detial of SWB rolls can vary from unit to unit!

What you will get is badge number, date of enlistment and discharge plus KR at the very least. Sometimes age and actual wound or sickness is detailed

"Sometimes" ......................I thought I'd Said That :P

Steady the Buffs; To The Regiment I Wish I Was There!