Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RUSSIAN SOLDIERS RESEARCH HOW?

wet255

Looking for information on 4 Russian footballers KIA during WW1 they all took part in the Olympic games. So far only have skeleton information on them. Where do I look? Many thanks for any help. Nigel

The footballers were. Andri Akimov 1912 olympics died 1916

Nikolai Kynin 1912 olympics died 1916

Gori Nikitin 1912 olympics died 1917

A named pic of the 1912 Russian Olympic footballing squad would be great lol. Nigel

Much to my amazement I have just found a cracking photograph of Andri Akimov. Looking at group do we think he is the first or third from the left?

post-46735-0-26989100-1456482449_thumb.j

Great find as ever. However only one of the Russians in the pic is killed in action. They must have had a change around after the Finland defeat. Big mistake. Still thats one more pic and a bit more information which is always worth it. I owe you lunch. Nigel

Thank you all, however just discovered he isn't in the picture. Thats the Russian team hammered by Germany 16-0 he only played in the game against Finland which Russia also lost but by the more respectable score of 2-1. England went on to win the Gold Medal.

Nigel,

Much to my amazement I have just found a cracking photograph of Andri Akimov

Are you sure - that is a portrait of a Russian Major-General.

Regards

Glenn

Copied and translated from Russian website

Andrey Akimov
Andrey Akimov. Midfielder. Born in 1888 in with. Nikolsky Vladimir province. He died on the German front in 1916. He played for the "ACS" Nut-Zuevo (1907 - 1908), "Sports Nut Club" Nut-Zuevo (1909 - 1914). For the Russian team played 4 games (including 1 game.. - for the Russian Olympic team). Also for the Russian team he played in 1 unofficial match. Member of the Olympic Games 1912

note other Russian websites have his date of birth as 1890 ?

Ray

This picture is in the book Operation Kronstadt. Peter Sokolov worked for SIS/MI6 during the Russian Civil War and after he died in Sweden in 1971. He was a law student in St Petersberg when WW I broke out and served as a NCO in the Russian Army. He was both a boxer and footballer. He played for St Petersberg Unitas the National Championsand 4 caps playing for Russia at the 1912 Olympics. He was 6'4".

LOL goes to show you can not believe everything you find on here. Thought it was a bit grand for soldier thanks for stopping me making a prat of myself thats always appreciated. Nigel

Found another source of the photos in post 3 and 16

with added info

Here

once again right click + translate to English

Regards Ray

Which leaves

Nikolai Kynin 1912 olympics died 1916

Here

once again right click + translate to English