Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some Photos from Aldershot Military Cemetery

mandy hall

I made a spur of the moment decision this morning to go to Aldershot Military Cemetery. It was a nice sunny cold day. The reason for going was to visit the grave of Walter Eric Major Stidolph RFC. Next week I am going to visit his brother John William Leonard Stidolph in Belgium. John is my main interest, as he appears on The Shippams War Memorial. Whilist wandering around as you do in a cemetery, you end up taking photos of other graves that catch your interest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldershot_Military_Cemetery

image_zpsczebhskv.jpeg

Chapel at Gallwey Road entrance

cccc82d68626e0a09e3013a682725293_zpsnagj

View from entrance looking down into cemetery.

4960dad43c81845cf2f8c385f05d9299_zps6i3z

Walter Stidolph's headstone, which I thought was rather nice and not what I was expecting. I know Walter was killed in a flying accident at Farnborough. A report in The Chichester Observer 23 May 1917 quotes a letter to his mother from Major A E G MacCallum RFC that "only two weeks ago he was especially picked out to take the Colonel across the Channel and back on an especial mission"

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/359690/STIDOLPH,%20W%20E%20M

image_zps6hhwq3gv.jpeg

image_zpssgxgnxkz.jpeg

Edited by mandy hall

After looking at the above on CWGC, there is also

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/359239/CROSSLEY,%20JOSHUA

Strange coincidence, to me anyway, buried same cemetery, very close in date of death, same regiment and same age.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/359475/LUCAS,%20KEITH

1c205c79e629d528bec2f651c9de6f05_zps9bym

His entry on CWGC notes he was engaged on experimental and research work, mainly with aeroplane compasses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Lucas_%28scientist%29

Mandy, I have a PDF of a visitors guide to the cemetery (dated September 2008) compiled by the then Garrison Sergeant Major for Aldershot, (WO1) GSM JJ Ferry RE. Sadly at 516KB it's too large to attach here and, as far as I can tell, no longer available for download. Images of it can be found Here, but if you'd like a copy of the PDF let me have your email address by PM and I'd be happy to oblige.

NigelS

Very nice interesting photographs Mandy,

thank you,

khaki

Thanks a few more to come.

Mandy, I have a PDF of a visitors guide to the cemetery (dated September 2008) compiled by the then Garrison Sergeant Major for Aldershot, (WO1) GSM JJ Ferry RE. Sadly at 516KB it's too large to attach here and, as far as I can tell, no longer available for download. Images of it can be found Here, but if you'd like a copy of the PDF let me have your email address by PM and I'd be happy to oblige.

NigelS

Thank you Nigel, I was hunting around the internet this morning for some thing like this. The wikipedia article I linked at the top of this thread gives a list of the notable graves, but not where to find them and it is a large cemetery. I will send a PM.

Hopefully this not going to get me into too much trouble. I should have taken a photo of this memorial from the other side, so you could see it in all its glory, because of the little statue of a soldier recessed in the base.

[/url]

image_zpss2nidpsz.jpeg[/url]

image_zps3njci9nz.jpeg

image_zps9apxaajb.jpeg

image_zps5pkbpwyc.jpeg

Last few to get me in trouble. There are a couple of other VC winners buried in the cemetery, but I didn't see them.

From the Falklands War

image_zpswronwivf.jpeg

image_zpsvjfenp17.jpeg

image_zpsllfx2ibu.jpeg

There are some other memorials to The Parachute Regiment next to the Falklands one above. If anyone wants copies just PM as I don't want to push my luck too far.

Mandy

Edited by mandy hall

.... I should have taken a photo of this memorial from the other side, so you could see it in all its glory...

I can fill in that gap ;)

post-5512-0-19151400-1456440673_thumb.jp

Further information on Edward Busk (& his brother, Hans) can be found in this thread Flight Commander Hans A. Busk, RNAS & Keith Lucas Capt. Keith Lucas, RFC; DSc. FRS – Aero Boffin

As would be expected of 'the home of the British Army' an Incredible amount of military history at Aldershot, and not just at the cemetery which a visit to always seem to result in me, to apply a skiing term to research, going 'off piste' (nothing at all to do with the nearby dry ski slope!)

NigelS

Thanks for the photo and the link to the two earlier threads. Does make you wonder, what they would have gone onto do, if their lives had not been cut short?

Email also received.

Many thanks

Mandy

Mandy,

Great photos.

Do you mind if I "borrow" the one of Keith Lucas's grave to add to my Forest Row War Memorial file?

Phil

Mandy,

Great photos.

Do you mind if I "borrow" the one of Keith Lucas's grave to add to my Forest Row War Memorial file?

Phil

No problem, you are welcome to use the photo.

Mandy

Mandy, I have a PDF of a visitors guide to the cemetery (dated September 2008) compiled by the then Garrison Sergeant Major for Aldershot, (WO1) GSM JJ Ferry RE. Sadly at 516KB it's too large to attach here and, as far as I can tell, no longer available for download. Images of it can be found Here, but if you'd like a copy of the PDF let me have your email address by PM and I'd be happy to oblige. NigelS

I've sent you a PM.