Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early SMLE: The teeth of the hen, etc, etc...

Welch Regiment

Hi guys,

Here's a list of some things I really, really need (why? because I just do, okay? ;)). All of them are ridiculously difficult to find and absurdly expensive when available, but someone might just want to move one or more of them on, who knows?

An SMLE mk1* top hand guard, preferably BSA manufacture (I know, I know)

An Les marked volley sight plate - even one with the boss ground away

An early regular or long butt with the extra lightening holes - condition not that important as it will need to be 'encouraged' to match an already-ruined fore-end

An early, BSA marked safety catch just to use as a reference, as I have to assume if it's not on a rifle, there's a reason...

A type 2 BSA magazine, or even a type 2/3. I have a really nice Enfield 2/3 mag if anyone wants to trade.

Form an orderly queue, now...

Very best, WR

WR,

I got a replacement butt for my 1914 SMLE from ebay. It is long and un-issued and cost about £30. There is a frim in the USA who deals in them and a huge ammount of other parts.

As I shoot mine I wanted to fit it out to the correct size for me, and replace a slightly damaged rear sight all of which I got from ebay or by using them as a guide to on-line firms.

Rod

Thanks, Rod

I think I looked at the source you're suggesting a couple of years ago, but I was a bit wary of buying something I couldn't inspect. Your endorsement gives me more confidence so I'll email and see what they've got. Cosmetically, any genuine SMLE butt would 'do', really, but it would be satisfying to have a period one. The correct mag should turn up sooner or later, but the pre-mkVII ammunition volley sight plate and the top wood? Who knows, haha?

WR,

I also bought 2 spare magazines. I got spare clips for the front from a friend but the two I bought were excellent and period. You hear so much bad about Ebay but I must admit I have had no problems with any of the parts I obtained. I must admit however I paid alot for a SMLE period combination tool. I took advice first however and the price was within acceptable limits but working on the 'when are you going to get another one' theory it was definately a good buy!

Rod

I have a selection of SMLE butts - I thought you were specifically after the early one? which I don't think I have.

I'll dig them out and photograph them.

A second variation magazine body is going to be hard to find -- most were converted to 3rd variation when the MkVIII round was introduced

Most MkI*** rifles I have seen (most surviving examples here appear to come from a large lot supplied to Ireland with CR or ER serial prefixes) have converted 3rd Variation or replacement 4th variation bodies.

The very earliest MkI handguard with the single clip are indeed hen's teeth but the double clip style show up occasionally. I believe there may also be reproductions being produced. I have seen the integral rear sight protectors for sale although it would take a pretty skilled woodworker to fit them to a MkIII handguard.

Chris