Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not an S.71/84 n.A. but a Bayoneta 1892/1893...

trajan

Just a note really to alert people to what in my experience over here is an increasing number of Simson made Spanish Model 1892/1893 bayonets appearing on the market that in some cases have been advertised as being a S.71/84 n.A. Well, in one sense they are, as they are identical in almost all details to the S.71/84 n.A.!

To judge from Carter's published records, Simson of Suhl won a very small part of the contract to make the S.71/84 n.A., producing non-sawback examples of these for Prussia and Bavaria in 1888 only. WK&C clearly won the main contract, with Coppel and Haenel taking a fair share, along with some other smaller firms, but Simson evidently lost out big-time. So, all tooled up, and no contracts to hand, it would seem that they quickly took the opportunity to offer a bayonet for the Fusil Mauser Español Modelo 1892 and its 1893 replacement, and so the Bayoneta 1892/1893, a cloned S.71/84 n.A., complete with an S.71/84 type scabbard - e.g., as: http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Spain/spain_2.html.

Aside for the usual things to look for (no abnahmenstempel on the spine or the pommel), basically anything that has a letter on the outer face of the crossguard, and that is made by "SIMSON & Co / SUHL". Also the crossguard serial, usually a cross crosslet, followed by a letter, and then the number - all that I have seen have four digits. A photograph says more than mere words so here are some of the latest one of three that have been offered my way, in all fairness, each of them described as being possibly an S.71/84...

Trajan

post-69449-0-44353800-1456305491_thumb.j post-69449-0-78223700-1456305502_thumb.j

Spanish Model 1892/1893 bayonets appearing on the market that in some cases have been advertised as being a S.71/84 n.A. Well, in one sense they are, as they are identical in almost all details to the S.71/84 n.A.!

Surely the very highset muzzle-ring on the Spanish bayonet would be an immediate giveaway to any would-be Imperial German collector.? see HERE for more pics

On a cursory glance they may appear to be similar, but in the manner of their attachment to a rifle they are quite different types. The extended guard/ring shows this.

The Spanish Mauser is your typical 'export Mauser' attaching a bayonet under the nosecap, while the German 71/84 is your older 'bar-on-band' type with lowset ring.

Cheers, S>S

Indeed SS, the muzzle ring is the real give-away, but not all new collectors would necessarily be so familiar with that bit! You, I know, are hot on spotting these, but it takes some learning to get that knowledge. As I said, in "almost all details" it can pass for an S.71/84, and one of these with that upper bar to the crossguard removed, like the one on GBF, is the sort of thing that could be passed-off as a S.71/84 variant - I have seen ones like that around. But, the 'rare' maker, and serial number, and the lack of inspection marks are conclusive in such a case. This particular one, by the way, was offered to me by a dealer (the biggest in Turkey) to whom I had already explained the differences, and if a dealer can't remember such things...!!!

Trajan