Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Training Establishment'?

Perth Digger

I am trying to find which training establishment Midshipman Trevor George Lawless Hayles went to. On his Service Record, that is all that is written. He was there from January 1913 until posted to HMS Defence in January 1916. He was killed at Jutland, aged 16. His Prep school was Cholmeley House, Eastbourne. His father retired as Paymaster Rear-Admiral.

Thanks

Mike

If he was a midshipman I would have expected it to be one of the Royal Naval Colleges - Dartmouth, Osborne or Greenwich.

Dartmouth is now the Britannia Royal Naval College and has its own archivist, and I would guess that the Greenwich archives are with the National Maritime Museum (though I might be mistaken). For Osborne I don't know.

However, the Navy Lists 1914-1918 are on archive.org and searchable, so you might pick him up that way - search on Navy List and the year.

sJ

Before his appointment to sea as a midshipman on 1 January 1916 he would have been a Cadet RN. Cadets are not included in the Navy List. In peacetime his cadet years should have been two years at Osborne from age 12 1/2, followed by two years at Dartmouth, followed by 6-8 months sea training in a training cruiser. However, as a midshipman by sixteen, it is obvious that his time at Dartmouth had been greatly reduced and the cadets had been through accelerated training and appointed to sea early as midshipmen . This was instituted right at the start of the war.

Horatio

Thank you for that. So Osborne preceded Dartmouth. I thought they were competitors.

I have emailed Dartmouth to confirm his presence.

I have a newspaper report that he was Rear-Admiral Arbuthnot's 'Admiral's doggie'.

Mike

Horatio2, thank you for the corrections, I'm very grateful!